- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Rackmount A Search for the way to restore the original preset software to “bricked” units of the limited edition legendary DSP 4500 Reply To: A Search for the way to restore the original preset software to “bricked” units of the limited edition legendary DSP 4500

italoop
Participant

Sorry, didn’t mean to offend by my rant… I’m just frustrated that I’m not more clever, and I wanted to help by making sure that Epiphoneedge didn’t make the same dumb mistake I did. But here’s a thought: if the chips were flashed after installation via a COM port, could that same port be used to re-flash them after erasure? And (sorry to be really really not clever) what’s a COM port? I don’t see any ports on the back of the unit other than XLR jacks, MIDI jacks, and S/PDIF jacks.

No problem, Rosincore. I understand the frustration!

The COM port is an 8 pin RS-422 connector. This serial port was implemented in ALL later units (DSP7000/7500/Orville/H7600/H8000) to connect the Eventide to a Windows PC running Vsigfile Graphic Editor, the tool used to create algorithms and to flash the internal chips with OS updates available in time.. These ports were not always installed on the 4000 series and often the machine came with an expansion slot (or two) for them. My 4000 had them. The 4500 had a single remote panel where the COM port could be installed.

The fact is that even when present they were never implemented on the 4000 series, so all Vsig programming was possible via the MIDI IN and OUT ports.

Eventide may have used some kind of tool with sockets for the flash chips, connected to a PC via serial cable/COM ports to flash a bunch of them at the same time. They didn’t flash ’em in the machine. My assumption is incorrect.