1 question before an order (7600 or 8000FW ?)

Home Forums Products Rackmount 1 question before an order (7600 or 8000FW ?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      bibi1

hi, i will buy an h7600 or an h8000fw next week, and id like to know if theres something impossible to do with the 7600, i mean something that i could do with the h8000, like a special kind of preset, a big reverb etc…
      Im only interested in stereo processing, for real time gigs (kind of Robert Fripp loops etc). So, is there an advantage in buying a 8000fw instead of a 7600, for a "simple" player like me ?
      Thank you .

IDeangelis

Bibi

you should go for an H8000Fw, not only because Fripp uses 2 of them….but also because you gat over 4 minutes looping with an H8K….. and using one dsp for looping and the other to process loops AND your own direct sound….well….. that makes A LOT of difference! Besides that…the H7600 is more expensive than the 8000 if you consider the second is more than twiv?ce the power and all its extra features.

I went for Orville over the DSP7500 back then….being a looper.

cheers

I

Idea 

bibi1

Thank you IDeangelis. Your answer is very clear. Just one last thing. You are talking about the Orville. Was it a double DSP processor too ? Maybe it could be an interesting choice too ? Are there many differences between the Orville and the 8000FW ?
      I will probably buy the 8000FW, but just to be sure, id like to know what you think about the Orville.

Thanks again

Chris Oger

IDeangelis

Chris

Orville was a dual DSP unit, the first!

Nevertheless, at this point in time, going for an Orville dosn't make sense, particularly for heavy taskings like looping & processing.

Consider that:

-H8000 can also run in Monolithic mode. Orville can't.

-Orville is no longer updated. H8000FW will get new modules and presets.

-H8000 contains all Orville presets plus many, many more.

-routings and I/Os variety in H8000Fw are something Orville can't simply handle.

-H8000 is more powerful and there are improved areas both in hardware and software, over the Orville.

best

rmaxwell

Hi Chris,

The Orville was a dual DSP unit as well, but it had significantly less processing power than the current H8000FW.  Orville was developed in the mid-1990s and has been discontinued for some time. However, we do offer an upgrade path from Orville to the H8000FW  http://www.eventide.com/News/Product%20News/Upgrade%20to%20H8000FW.aspx.  

H8000FW has nearly 1,000 more programs than Orville.  the H8000FW has FireWire, a faster more responsive OS, sorting functionality, the ability to run both DSPs together for big programs (such as 5.1 or 7.1 etc.), ADAT I/O, more precise word clock, Flash memory support, plug-and-play with our EveNet remote among other things.

If you have further questions, drop me a note at rmaxwell@eventide.com or give me a call at 201-641-1200.

bibi1

Thank you IDeangelis and R Maxwell. Wow, quick and precise answer !

Well… now everything is clear ! H8000FW will be my new friend next week !

Thanks again.

Take care.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.