Ableton Live’s External Audio Effect

Home Forums Products Rackmount Ableton Live’s External Audio Effect

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      John Baylies
      Participant

Here's how I use Ableton's External Audio Effect device to record audio through an FX Chain on the H9000.

With my audio interface, Live's 'Audio To/From' 5/6 corresponds to the H9000's 'MADI A' 1/2

The above is functionally equivalent to the below:

zengomi
      Participant

Thank you, John, for starting a new thread and sharing your Live recording methods.

Can I assume that those methods would work if the ‘clip’ track had Audio From an external source?

John Baylies
      Participant

Yes, that would work.

loomloom
      Participant

Sorry for the noob question but if you are sending audio from your interface output on 5/6 stereo and going to your h9000 on 1/2 why does the ableton device say audio from 5/6? (I was expecting to see 1/2 here) Unless this mean you’re also going back into 5/6 on the input side of your interface?

Puppeteer
      Participant

Sorry for the noob question but if you are sending audio from your interface output on 5/6 stereo and going to your h9000 on 1/2 why does the ableton device say audio from 5/6? (I was expecting to see 1/2 here) Unless this mean you’re also going back into 5/6 on the input side of your interface?

Ableton output refer to the specific outputs on your soundcard.  For example on my RME UFX the ADAT outputs start at output 13.  The ADAT cable goes into my H9000 and they are channels ADAT 1-8 on the H9000.

Ableton has no idea what external devices enumerate devices as.  It only knows what soundcard output to route audio to. Your H9000 has no idea what ableton has labelled the outputs, it only knows it’s own input channel layout.

sugarhi
      Participant

How are you dealing with latency? Monitoring and recording of wet signal?

Cheers

Puppeteer
      Participant

I use Ableton’s external effect, where you can specify the latency.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.