about digital connections…

Home Forums Products Rackmount about digital connections…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      simeon
      Participant

hi there – i've started using my eclipse with the RCA input instead of the analog connections. the audio source is a gforce. i originally left the clock source set to internal and the sr-cnv set to on and the sample rate set to 48khz and everytthing works beautifully. i just looked at the manual and now i'm wondering if i should set the clock source to digi in and run the eclipse locked to the g-force at 44.1khz. is there any advantage to doing this, or should i leave it as it is and run the eclipse at 48khz – it'll sound better this way, won't it?

sim

IDeangelis

Hi Simeon

in general digital audio devices should be running on the same clock source, particularly when directly connected each other. So I would slave the Eclipse to the TC clock or vice-versa.

Doesn't the TC support 48KHz? No? Too bad!

cheers

simeon
      Participant

lol – no 48Khz on the g-force unfortunately!

should i be using a special cable or the interconnect? i'm currently using a standard (cheap) rca cable, but are the so called "digital" ones available actually any different? i want to get a new, better quality cable, so i'd like to make sure i get the right one….and the input level seems quite low at the moment, so i'm thinking the cable impedance may be too high? not sure…

many thanks!

sim

IDeangelis

Simeon

RCA analog audio cables are strongly not recommended. They might work but datas are incorrectly carried. You should get a true S/Pdif cable. These are coaxial data cable dedicated to digital information transfer.

all the best

tacman77

I haven't had any problems using the yellow cable that you get on a set of TV connectors with yellow, red, and white. The thicker yellow cables of good quality work fine for me.

IDeangelis

The specs for S/Pdif cables are pretty much the same as TV antennas cables.

I've done several of them myself, using sucha wire.

Nevertheless today I prefer using branded audio S/Pdif cables…but that's just…ME!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

IGeeked 

simeon
      Participant

thanks for the info – i've just bought myself a proper s/pdif cable to use now

cheers!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.