ADAT in, AES/EBU out

Home Forums Products Rackmount ADAT in, AES/EBU out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      wilkinsi
      Participant

Normally, I use my Eclipse in an AES/EBU loop – in and and connected to a Roland AE-7000, which in turn connects via a DB25 cable to my Roland VS2400 recorder. On this occasion, I wanted to connect my Audient ASP008 mic pre via ADAT to my Eclipse, then AES from the Eclipse to the AE-7000. Should the DIGIN of the Eclipse still be set to external 44100hz or INT? I have also found the AES output of the Eclipse produces a nasty crackling sound, whereas the analog out to my VS2400 produces prefect effected audio. What am I doing wrong?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It sounds like you need to decide what piece of equipment is to be clock master. Getting this wrong will give the crackles you mention. You need to have a single clock master, with everything else synched to it. For example, you could decide that your Audient is to be the clock master, and then you would set your Eclipse clock to ADAT, and then connect by AES to the Roland.

wilkinsi
      Participant

I'm hunting BNC cables and a T-bar as we speak. The Roland AE-7000 will be the master clock, which it is right now with just AES in and out of the Eclipse connected, and without issues. The Audient only has W/C IN (disappointing), so it will not be the master. I've noticed that a lot of digital i/o equipped devices don't have wordclock at all.

wilkinsi
      Participant

One example is my synth module. It has a coaxial SPDIF output which can switch that output from SPDIF to AES. It does not have a wordclock in or out. Is there a way to install one on an EMU Proteus 2000? Otherwise, I'll have to put the P2K through my Audient.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You can, of course, usually use any digital input  as a sync input.

But, if you have a unit without any digital input (such as maybe a CD player) this cannot be locked to a master clock. Some equipment, (such as Eclipse) have sample rate converters which can be helpful.

wilkinsi
      Participant

For now, I'll just use the DB25-jack loom to output the EMU synth to my Audient, until I can afford a synth that does have wordclock input (Roland XV5080 being one example).

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.