Add-on card with 8 nice preamps?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Add-on card with 8 nice preamps?

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi all,

I was wondering whether Eventide would consider offering an add-on card equipped with preamplifiers (2 channels/4channels or 8 channels) for the H9000. It seems there is plenty of space inside the H9000 for such a card and, maybe most importantly, plenty of demand. The preamps of the H8000FW play a significant role in its sonic character and they are very handy in many cases so I think it would be a great addition and definitely a great selling/marketing point.

What do you think?

donrwatters
      Participant

I’d like this. If it could include hi-z in and out, that would make it even more valuable. I think a lot of people want plug their guitar directly into the unit, like an H9. Also use it as a DI, and be able to send directly to an H9 would be sweet.

joeydego
      Participant

+1 on this, even though I probably wouldn’t use it this way. Would be nice to know I have another 8 mic pres in. Would also need 48v power. 

John Baylies
      Participant

this is now ticket #H9000-390 "expansion card request: mics and Hi-Z inputs"

I've always thought that a mastering-grade mixing-link-type expansion card would be sweet.

brysava
      Participant

Looks like a great idea! I hope the mic pre’s will include a direct out, bypassing the unit’s digital conversion, for when that is not needed, like when going directly into an analog mixer and adding H9k FX via mixer sends.

Pombero
      Participant

This is such a good idea. +1!

KazRemark
      Participant

Absolutely +1. I’m keeping my DSP-7000 around mainly for the unique sound of cranking the pre’s.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Bump.

How is this coming along? Can anyone from Eventide comment on this?

John Baylies
        Participant

> Can anyone from Eventide comment on this?

Ticket #H9000-390 “expansion card request: mics and Hi-Z inputs” has yet to be assigned to anyone. Development is currently focused elsewhere.

Edit: Nevermind! This actually is in progress, but I have no specs nor timeline for it.

zengomi
        Participant
        John Baylies wrote:

> Can anyone from Eventide comment on this?

Ticket #H9000-390 “expansion card request: mics and Hi-Z inputs” has yet to be assigned to anyone. Development is currently focused elsewhere.

Edit: Nevermind! This actually is in progress, but I have no specs nor timeline for it.

Great! Thanks for revealing that much.

I’d like to request that consideration be given to incorporating XLR/TRS combo jacks on that expansion card. Should I create a ticket? Actually, what is a ‘ticket’?

John Baylies
        Participant

> Should I create a ticket? Actually, what is a ‘ticket’?

Tickets are a part of Eventide’s internal project tracking system, which users don’t have access to. Rest assured that your comments have been noted.

zengomi
        Participant
        John Baylies wrote:

> Should I create a ticket? Actually, what is a ‘ticket’?

Tickets are a part of Eventide’s internal project tracking system, which users don’t have access to. Rest assured that your comments have been noted.

Thank you.

KazRemark
      Participant

I would happily purchase a card with great sounding preamps.  I’m currently keeping my DSP-7000 around cause I really like the sound on the analog inputs when tracking synths.  Would love if the H9000 can cover that final bit of ground. 

Kamurah
      Participant

Add my name to the list of someone who thinks this would be a great add-on!

tmoravan
      Participant

I know it’s still very early in the process, but how would you envision this card working if someone is currently using the analog I/O on the H9000?

Would we simply move the DB25 from the current input section to the new card, or would the card give us an additional 8 analog inputs (for a total of 16 in x 8 out analog)?

thanks

zengomi
      Participant

I might be overlooking something, but I don’t see the point of moving the DB25 from the current input section to a new card. Hmmm

As for a new card expanding the number of inputs, surely there are people who would appreciate that. For such a card to add 8 channels, in consideration of the horizontal space available, it probably would have to have a DB25 connector. 

Another card could offer a fewer number of XLR/TSR inputs. Those could either add channels or be alternatives to the existing 8 channels. (UAD’s Apollo x8p has both DB25 and XLR/TSR inputs for the same 8 channels. The user can select in software which is used.)

Offering multiple types of analog input expansion boards would be relevant to the H9000 as a long runner.

Kamurah
      Participant

I think (but I could be wrong) what he meant by ‘move’ was the output of the preamp card would connect via DB25 to the analog input section of the H9000.  This saves the cost of a separate ADC if the preamp card cannot be routed to the existing analog section internally. 

tmoravan
      Participant

Yes, my summary question is — if we install the pre-amp board, do we now have 16 separate analog inputs or still just 8?

I guess it may come down to whether the pre-amp board has its own A/D converters or does it plug into the existing analog bus and use the converters already present.

I think it would be a lower cost if it used the existing converters and was purely a pre-amp analog board.  We wouldn’t have lost anything (still have 8 analog inputs) and if they use a DB25 connector for the new board, it’s simple matter of installing the board and attaching our existing DB25 connector to the new board instead of to the mainframe.

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        tmoravan wrote:

Yes, my summary question is — if we install the pre-amp board, do we now have 16 separate analog inputs or still just 8?

I guess it may come down to whether the pre-amp board has its own A/D converters or does it plug into the existing analog bus and use the converters already present.

I think it would be a lower cost if it used the existing converters and was purely a pre-amp analog board.  We wouldn’t have lost anything (still have 8 analog inputs) and if they use a DB25 connector for the new board, it’s simple matter of installing the board and attaching our existing DB25 connector to the new board instead of to the mainframe.

The card will have its own converters and it will create additional analog channels, independent of the 8 channels of IO built into the main board, so yes, with one of the cards installed there will be more than 8 analog inputs.  (You can also add multiple cards for more analog channels if you have free expansion slots).

Kamurah
        Participant

[/quote]

The card will have its own converters and it will create additional analog channels, independent of the 8 channels of IO built into the main board, so yes, with one of the cards installed there will be more than 8 analog inputs.  (You can also add multiple cards for more analog channels if you have free expansion slots).

[/quote]

Very nice!  Now about that internal fan…….

joeydego
      Participant

This can potentially open up a whole new class of channel strip like algorithms, not quite modeling like UA and others but with character all their own. 8 mic pres would turn the H9000 into a more viable stand alone interface. I understand it was never the intention, but this can definitely work. Maybe down the line we can have an interface mode tab, with the ability to send from these 8 pres to other algorithms. Lots of possibility here. 

chriscarter
      Participant

+1 on this idea – although 4 channels would be enough for the majority of my projects.

parkerfly81
      Participant
      ThreeFingersOfLove wrote:

Hi all,

I was wondering whether Eventide would consider offering an add-on card equipped with preamplifiers (2 channels/4channels or 8 channels) for the H9000. It seems there is plenty of space inside the H9000 for such a card and, maybe most importantly, plenty of demand. The preamps of the H8000FW play a significant role in its sonic character and they are very handy in many cases so I think it would be a great addition and definitely a great selling/marketing point.

What do you think?

i still have my orville in the rack (with the 9000..) for this very reason – very much would like to see this happen.

zengomi
      Participant

Hoping this is making its way up Eventide’s to-do list. 

Big ‘yes’ to preamps!

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

I would like to know as well, if there’s any progress with this.

millertime
      Participant

I would love this myself

joeydego
      Participant

Glad to hear this is in process now. I definitely would love one!

pacific202
      Participant

In a similar vein, I’d like to have an add-on card that will give me another 8 channels in and out over DB25.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Any news on this preamp card?

zengomi
      Participant

Surely this is a moneymaker for Eventide. Wouldn’t that make it a high priority project? 🙂

Puppeteer
      Participant

I’d probably look at getting one of these as well.  I’m torn between going MADI or Dante for a second card.  I don’t have either yet, but am going to have to go that way for any future channel expansions.

rtwarkins
      Participant

I’d be interested in the pre-amp card as well. Interested to see what turns up.

parkerfly81
      Participant

i recently added a dante card (with an RME digiface..) and i very quickly realize how important these additional analog i/o cards are – wondering if there’s any update on when they might be released..

(also, the start of the thread mentions ‘inputs’ only.. but, it would for sure be great to have both ins AND outs represented..)

i would put a vote in for a card that was two dsub connectors – 8in/8out, just like whats already available on the unit, with the addition of preamps on the way in.

thanks for making such great / inspiring stuff, ET.

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.