Analog Connections to HW8000 for Stereo

Home Forums Products Rackmount Analog Connections to HW8000 for Stereo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I've searched the forums and read everything I could find in the manual, but I'm still uncertain exactly how the HW8000 analog inputs and outputs should be connected for optimum stereo and/or 4.1 and 5.1 presets.

For example, using the DSP A and B series analog routing config, if a preset is stereo in, summed stereo out, do I need to present a signal at analog inputs 1 and 2 to achieve a proper stereo output? What happens if I only connect a mono input to a single analog input – am I still getting the best from a stereo imaging perspective for that preset?

Or another way of asking the same question: Does the number of analog connections into the HW8000 effect stereo or 5.1 imaging?

Thanks in advance for your help.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not quite sure what you are looking for here. But, to answer as best I can:

If you have a preset that expects a stereo input and you give it mono, you will probably lose something. But, you could use the routing to feed the mono signal to both stereo inputs. Probably all depends upon what you are trying to do.

If you don't have enough audio connections for what you are trying to do, you may not get the best results. This should come as no surprise. But, again, you can use the routing to parallel inputs or mix outputs to give you the best results attainable with what you have.

Thanks for the fast response, Nick.

I'll have another go, if I may …

In your reply, you write:

But, you could use the routing to feed the mono signal to both stereo inputs.

In this case, does it matter which of the four analog input pairs I choose to route the mono signal to? 

Is there any correlation, either in the presets or in the routing configs between analog inputs (1-4) with Left/Right channels, as one often thinks about with stereo?

I am using the HW8000 as an effects unit (only analog) in a live sound situation, and want to be sure that I am making the correct physical connections in order not to "lose something" (to use your words) of the presets' stereo and/or 5.1 imaging.

Would it be better, for example, to feed a mono or stereo source to the HW8000 using 1?, 2?, 3? or 4? aux sends from a mixer to respective analog inputs to get the best results from a preset?

Thanks again.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

My guess is that you could usefully play for a while with our Routing Utility (see H8000 support page). This would demonstrate the way to feed signals through the unit.

In practice, it usually doesn't matter which inputs and outputs you use, as long as they are correctly routed to the dsps. Each preset has different connection needs and will act differently if it is missing something. For example, an 8 channel equalizer won't care if you only give it  four inputs. It will only give you four outputs, but they'll be fine. Whereas, a stereo reverb probably will lose something if you only give it a single channel.

It partly comes down to knowing the unit and the presets, but if something gives you a sound you like, that's a good thing, even if it could possibly give you more.

My recommendation is to study the Routing, and also the Presets Manual – note the difference between (say) stereo and dual mono.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.