analogue outs volume difference

Home Forums Products Rackmount analogue outs volume difference

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      spicedan

hi all,

I noticed a weird sound in the left channel (channel 1) of eclipse output (sounded a bit like a mobile phone about when calling)..

It has disappeared, but now channel 1 output is much quieter than channel 2, if i set output gains : +10db for channel 1 and -10db for channel 2 ,this seems to correct the inbalance, and sounds fine..

I have checked leads etc, and all fine

My in mode is mono 1

any ideas what may have happened?

dan

IDeangelis

Dan

-which OS is the unit running on?

-on which preset you noticed the "mobile phone" sound and the leel difference between channels?

-how the Eclipse is connected(type of cables/plugs/wiring) and to what?

-what type of signal is fed to it?

best

I

spicedan

hi italo,

-I have just upgraded the unit to 3.5b from 3.1 to see if that would help, but the level difference remains..

-I can't remember what preset i noticed it on, most likely stringroom2

-Eclipse is connected to a mackie mixer – TRS from the mackie to XLR into the eclipse

-signal in is an aux send from the mackie, my main channel on the mackie is an acoustic guitar–>lrbaggsparadi—>barber compressor—>line6effects

I have just returned from a festival, before which the eclipse was working fine..

There was a power cut during my set (the stage was run from a generator charging batteries), I over ran a bit and the batteries ran out! I'm not sure if this is a variable, i have a surge-protected power 6-way which the eclipse plugs into..

Perhaps the eclipse has been knocked or vibrated during transit and so this is a hardware issue? 

spicedan

ps the level difference is also present when the unit is in bypass 

IDeangelis

Hi Dan

I'm afraid the unit has a hardware problem. Power surges or instabilities of +/- 10/12% of the nominal voltage may be fatal to digital equipment. You may try reinitializing the unit, either with a CLEAR SETUP (doesn't erase your presets) or a FULL REINIT (kills your stuff!) and check if it helps.

Power w/SETUP key pressed & held for clear setup & follow screen instructions.

Power w/8 key pressed & held for full renit & follow screen instructions.

Please let me know!

best

I

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Also, make sure that ALL pins of the XLRs are connected – it may be that you are connecting to an unbalanced line, without unbalancing the XLR properly.

Simple test – reverse the L/R connections at both input and output and see if the problem changes side – if it does, it's a cabling issue.

spicedan

hi guys,

have tried a full reset, and checked the leads, swapped sides – problem is still there – the left being quieter…

Ok, so if we assume it is a hardware issue, which I think it must be, then it needs to be repaired, 

Is it possible to have this done in the UK?

And also what power protection should i be taking out live to stop this happening again? I play venues of all types, hi-spec and low spec, and i bought the eclipse to take out with me! Road warrior! 🙂

IDeangelis

You can try to contact U.K. distributor, HHB:

Home

A power stabilizer with surge protection  would keep all your digital gear safe on stage, when power fluctuates like crazy.

all the best

I

spicedan

hi italo,

thanks i will contact them…

I did look at line conditioners etc a while back now i think of it, do you know of any good voltage-regulating units that are not 19" rack? I have a 2u rack which i can't really expand due to what i can carry to gigs..

IDeangelis

Dan

I have no advice fornon_rack units, unless you want to look into computers line conditioners and backup units. I use Online, a german brand that has proved full reliability on me, but these devices may be not the most portable solution.

best

I

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.