Any modern ALGs to be added?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Any modern ALGs to be added?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

There are many algorithms in the pipeline some of which fit into categories you’re interested in. Thanks for taking the time to suggest more effects.

moschops
      Participant

Hi,

Thanks thats great news!

The spring emulation is good btw, I was putting it through its paces yesterday.

moschops
      Participant

I’m thinking Granular, FFT, new reverb ALG’s, stompbox emulations, hardware emulations, a sampler even, solina ensemble?

Tau phaser?

Quadraverb ALG’s

Synths maybe, DX7 emulator, use the open source DEXED code.

Braids?

More algs from the original SP2016

Amp emulations?

Even things like the new MPC update have now got Granular effects included and that’s just a drum machine, it’s pretty good as well, weird I have to route audio into my MPC to get granular FX even though I have an H9k sitting next to it.

How about employing people specifically to code some new ALG’s?

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff
      moschops wrote:

I'm thinking Granular, FFT, new reverb ALG's, stompbox emulations, hardware emulations, a sampler even, solina ensemble?

Tau phaser?

Quadraverb ALG's

Synths maybe, DX7 emulator, use the open source DEXED code.

Braids?

More algs from the original SP2016

Amp emulations?

Even things like the new MPC update have now got Granular effects included and that's just a drum machine, it's pretty good as well, weird I have to route audio into my MPC to get granular FX even though I have an H9k sitting next to it.

How about employing people specifically to code some new ALG's?

While we are working on new algorithms for the H9000, you may find that it can already accomplish some of the effects you’re looking to achieve: 

Tau phaser – I’m not too familiar with this one, but both Sci-Fi Phaser algorithms are 20-pole phasers. I would also suggest checking out Quad Phaser and Stereoizing Phaser; these can both achieve some pretty extreme effects similar to what I heard from the Tau phaser demos I watched. 

Granular – There are many algorithms capable of granular style effects such as crystals or the reverse delay algs (play around with the xfade or length parameters.) 5435 Large Poly Shift can also get some great sounds when you adjust the splice and length parameters. You can also use the H9 looper algorithm and scrub through your looped audio by adjusting the ply-start and ply-length parameters. 

What sort of granular effects would you like to see on the H9000?

moschops
      Participant

Ok thanks so much, I’m currently going through hundreds of ALG’s now, I will try your suggestions out and get back to you, did you ever try some of the H3000 flanger programs, they are SO smooth and liquidy, never heard any other flangers like that..

here’s an example I know used it on the 808 toms

igglethorpe
      Participant

What about a new reverb algorithm to rule them all? I’m glad you are offering suggestions with existing algorithms but what I’ve found so far in owning this device is it is essentially a legacy box with a new paint job. 

What about algorithms designed specifically for the H9000 that take advantage of its DSP? Not imported H9 algorithms.  H9000 specific ones that push the hardware.  When I bought this product that was what I expected to see.  So far we really haven’t seen this come to fruition. 

Reverbs are a really good example. Guitar pedals costing a fraction of this unit or Valhalla effects for $50 a pop blow a lot of the reverb algorithms available in the H9000 out of the water.

I’m just not seeing innovation in this product like I expected.  More iteration and celebration of the past.

chriscarter
      Participant

The Eventide reverb and delay algorithms are superb and we use them on a lot of material but I agree it would be great to have some updated algos along the lines of what Valhalla and Strymon are producing. Although thinking about it I’m pretty sure I could eventually program some FX Chains to sound like those…  if only I had the time. Too many deadlines lately to get distracted by what inevitably becomes hours of tweaking.

tmoravan
      Participant

Since we’re talking new algorithms (agree on the granular – the underlying coding is different than what is used for the suggested similarities), can the H9000 do something as extreme as the “paul stretch” extreme time stretching, preferably in real time?  the Paul Stretch code is Open Source, so it’s fairly easy to download, build, examine, and test to see if it could fit in the H9000.

moschops
      Participant

Convolution reverbs would be VERY nice, even Eurorack modules have them now!

I actually don’t think the H9000 is a legacy product as you can’t use all the classic ALG’s from the earlier machines, this to me is a strange decision as there was just SO much good/genius/classic stuff from the older devices that could’ve been used if they were compatible, compatibility REALLY should be made to work, otherwise all that stuff is just going to be lost to time, what a waste!

I find things like the Strymon incredibly boring compared to the H9k, yes much better verbs can be made on the H9k but you will have to program them yourself for now or just combine ALG’s in Emote, which takes no time at all, get stuck in and you will be rewarded.

Yes there have been teething problems but the potential of this machine should be able to blow everything away if Eventide can keep the updates coming, It feels like either new ways of getting programmers to create stuff for the platform need to be deployed or some way of open sourcing things out to need to be dreamt up, more help is needed so it seems.

I think if older Eventide ALG’s from previous machines are made compatible and some new modern ALG’s are made this machine will be legendary.

What about a Eurorack version of vsig, like the Poly Hector, a lot of work I know but I think an epic plan to incorporate all  this needs to be made asap!

maxlord

Similarly curious about Eventide reverb programs in general. I don’t have a H9000 so mostly going off my experience with the H8000FW. I agree that there are a lot of really great sounding, useful reverb programs in the standard library. There is enough there to mix a hundred records. The only criticism I could see is that they are really uniform. Aside from Blackhole of course, almost all the reverbs are based on the REVERB_A through REVERB_D blocks, which all have a sort of similar topology. 

There are some programs which are named “PCM70 something” or “AMS something” but these aren’t to be taken too seriously because they are still based on the standard reverb blocks, and have little to do with the actual topologies used in those devices. All the rack units from the last 20 years have all of the basic building blocks needed to make say Lexicon-ish sounding reverbs, but they never shipped with anything like that. I wonder if this was a deliberate attempt to differentiate the product’s sound, or maybe to avoid messy IP disputes? Perhaps you guys just like the Eventide signature topologies better?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.