anybody using H9000 with DB25 for aes? DB25 Pin Out question

Home Forums Products Rackmount anybody using H9000 with DB25 for aes? DB25 Pin Out question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      amiel
      Participant

Hi, hope all or you are doing well.

Do you knows if the DB-25 pinout for the AES/EBU have a particular pin-out?

I red that the Pin Out is Tascam  and an analog DB-25 would work the same as a Digital as the pin-out is the same or almost Identical.

I am receiving only  the  1-2  as 7-8 in the H9000..and nothing with the other 3 stereo pairs

Thank you

cyborgssc
      Participant

I can confirm that it is standard Tascam AES/EBU pin out. I have seen the behavior you are describing, but could not reproduce it. I did have all 8 channels in both directions working at one point.

However, I now have a problem where I can see input on all 8 AES channels in the meters, but those signals do not reach the FX chains or algorithms they are connected to. Changing the clock (internal, AES, or Dante) did not help that problem. I’ve given up on AES for now since I have Dante and MADI. Those seem to work everytime.

amiel
      Participant

Thanks! 

all fixed now!

plikestechno
      Participant

Has anybody used an Apogee 800 with their H9000 yet via aes 1-8? Basically I want to use it for 8 send/return inserts on my analog mixer channels while i record my mixers via the analog 1/8 channels on the h9000. Dante of course would be better as i do have the dante card for my h9000 but nothing provides 8 ins/outs at 96k as cheap as the Rosetta 800 that im thinking of buying. Or should i just save up a bit more and keep things Dante?

KazRemark
      Participant

I am waiting for my H9000, and will be wanting to get an AES snake that works with my Lynx Aurora Digital Inputs.  I believe the Lynx uses Yamaha, not Tascam format will the hosa cable still work?

KazRemark
      Participant

Got it, thanks for the info!

tpluta
      Eventide Staff

I believe support has already reached out to you and helped you get AES3-DB25 working, but I thought I'd post this anyways just for reference: A typical analog DB-25 to DB-25 cable will not work. Analog DB-25 cables are meant to send 8 balanced outputs to 8 balanced inputs, or vice versa. “Balanced input 1” on one end of the cable uses the same pins as “balanced output 1” on the other end of the cable. 

On the other hand, one AES DB-25 cable can be used for 8 channels of input and 8 channels of output at the same time. In order for that to work, the inputs pins on one end of the cable need to be connected to the output pins on the other end of the cable (and these are not the same pins). So, if you try to use an analog DB-25 to DB-25 cable for AES, you would be connecting your outputs to your outputs and your inputs to your inputs (no good).

Personally, I am using a pair of these breakout cables (the Tascam type):  https://hosatech.com/products/digital-audio/aes-ebu-snakes/aes-800/

There are also some less readily-available AES "crossover" DB25 to DB25 cables that have the input and output pins connected correctly.

Here’s a document with the Tascam analog DB-25 and AES DB-25 pinouts that probably explains it better than I did: https://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/220/DB-25_Pinout.pdf

cyborgssc wrote:

I can confirm that it is standard Tascam AES/EBU pin out. I have seen the behavior you are describing, but could not reproduce it. I did have all 8 channels in both directions working at one point.

However, I now have a problem where I can see input on all 8 AES channels in the meters, but those signals do not reach the FX chains or algorithms they are connected to. Changing the clock (internal, AES, or Dante) did not help that problem. I've given up on AES for now since I have Dante and MADI. Those seem to work everytime.

If you had the clock source configured correctly (either Internal if the H9000 is clocking another device, or "AES Any" if the H9000 is being clocked by another device) and the Digital Audio Mode set to AES3 DB25, and it still wasn't working, then it sounds like it could be a bug. If you'd still like to use AES but continue to run into issues, feel free to get in touch with us at support@eventide.com. We can take a look at one of your H9000 sessions where you're trying to use AES3-DB25.

cyborgssc
      Participant
      tpluta wrote:

If you had the clock source configured correctly (either Internal if the H9000 is clocking another device, or “AES Any” if the H9000 is being clocked by another device) and the Digital Audio Mode set to AES3 DB25, and it still wasn’t working, then it sounds like it could be a bug. If you’d still like to use AES but continue to run into issues, feel free to get in touch with us at support@eventide.com. We can take a look at one of your H9000 sessions where you’re trying to use AES3-DB25.

OK thanks. I do have Digital Audio Mode as AES3 DB25. We can test various clock sources, but the clock needs to be Dante, as that is the master clock for my studio. The AES device I am connecting the H9000 to is also a Dante device on the same network/clock, so that should be OK. As I mentioned, I had it working, and then after shutting everything off and turning back on it stopped. I’ll try again at some point so we can diagnose it further. FWIW, I run my studio at 96 KHz. I do have the correct crossover cable.

plikestechno
      Participant

Did you get this working ok? I am waiting for a tascam format db25 aes cable so i can connect my apogee rosetta 800 yamaha format xlrs to tascam format at the xlrs and into the db25 via tascam on the eventide. I need to clock from the dante expansion card as well as it seems to be the only way everything in my studio through the computer works with DVS without clicks and pops at 96k.

So hopefully i will able to clock the Rosetta 800 via the dante a expansion and it will all just work.

Any reasons it shouldnt?

cyborgssc wrote:
      tpluta wrote:

If you had the clock source configured correctly (either Internal if the H9000 is clocking another device, or “AES Any” if the H9000 is being clocked by another device) and the Digital Audio Mode set to AES3 DB25, and it still wasn’t working, then it sounds like it could be a bug. If you’d still like to use AES but continue to run into issues, feel free to get in touch with us at support@eventide.com. We can take a look at one of your H9000 sessions where you’re trying to use AES3-DB25.

OK thanks. I do have Digital Audio Mode as AES3 DB25. We can test various clock sources, but the clock needs to be Dante, as that is the master clock for my studio. The AES device I am connecting the H9000 to is also a Dante device on the same network/clock, so that should be OK. As I mentioned, I had it working, and then after shutting everything off and turning back on it stopped. I’ll try again at some point so we can diagnose it further. FWIW, I run my studio at 96 KHz. I do have the correct crossover cable.

tpluta
      Eventide Staff
      KazRemark wrote:

I am waiting for my H9000, and will be wanting to get an AES snake that works with my Lynx Aurora Digital Inputs.  I believe the Lynx uses Yamaha, not Tascam format will the hosa cable still work?

Yes, but you must remember: if you want to connect a Tascam-pinout AES3 DB25 device to a Yamaha-pinout AES3 DB25 device using those Hosa snakes, you will need one Tascam snake (AES-803T) and one Yamaha snake (AES-805Y). You'll plug the AES-803T DB25 connector into the H9000, the AES-805Y DB25 connector into the Yamaha-pinout device, and connect the input and output XLRs together.

Alternatively, there are also "crossover Yamaha to Tascam" AES3 DB25-to-DB25 cables available without the XLR breakouts.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.