Audio Routing Problems in Reaper

Home Forums Products Rackmount Audio Routing Problems in Reaper

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      btbyrd

So I just got a new computer that I'm trying to get connected to the H8000FW. It will be my only sound card. I can currently play music from Windows Media Player and load standalone versions of Native Instruments plugins and hear them on my monitors through the eventide. I can also run it through the DSPs and listen to the effects. But despite how wonderful this is, I cannot get it to work in my DAW and so everything is basically useless at the moment.

So here's the problem. I'm running Reaper. I've tried to enable it for playback and and recording, but it's not working. No audio is making it from the analog ins on my DAW, so I cannot record from the analog ins of the Eventide. I also cannot route audio from my DAW through to the Eventide for playback. How can I fix this?

Here's the routing configuration I want to have:

Run my mixer into the two analog ins on the H8000 and then routed into my DAW over the H8000's Firewire. I also want to have two stereo channels (so 4 channels total) from my DAW into the Eventide over Firewire. And I want to be able to monitor all this using my monitors (two analog outs) from my computer (over Firewire).

Oddly enough, I can record audio from a standalone soft synth that's being processed (over firewire) by the H8000's DSPs into Reaper. I can see the waveform. But I cannot play it back. Please let me know how I might resolve this. I've tried every possible routing configuration I can think of in the routing utility, but nothing works.

I'm running XP Home edition and the latest driver on the Eventide. (But since Windows can play music just fine, as can my Native Instruments softsynths, I don't think the issue is OS related).

Help!

btbyrd

It appears that things have taken a turn for the worse, my friends. As I was trying to resolve this issue, I've somehow managed to screw up my Eventide's Firewire connectivity.

It is no longer being recognized by either my laptop or my desktop. Is there some sort of diagnostic I can run to make sure that everything's still working right (hardware wise) on the H8000?

IDeangelis

You may want to uninstall the FW drivers and start over again.

Please consider that some FW chipset are adviced vs. others that have or may have communication issues with our unit. The manual has some examples.

all the best

I

IDeangelis

First thing you need to do is setup the routing in the H8000FW.

Go to MAIN inputs and choose Analog 1 and 2 for IN 1 and 2 (for your analog mixer). Then you need to se tup 2 stereo FW inputs for your DAW: set FWIRE1 in 1 for IN 3, FWIRE1 in 2 for IN 4, FWIRE1 in 3 for IN 5 ans FWIRE1 in 4 for IN 6.

We have thus configured inputs as you like.

Now you have to decide how you want to use the 2 DSPs to rocess your audio sources. Once you know that, you'll have to route analog in 1 and 2 AND FWIRE in 1/2/3/4 to DSPs single inputs, unders DSP A and DSP memus.

Same cocept applies to MAIN outputs. Since you probably want to have all inputs being processed and outputted by FWIRE, you'll have to set your FWIRE outputs in the MAIN Outputs menu.

The real trick then is how you route the signals inside the DAW mixer. It's no longer an H8000Fw routing issue. You may need to assign tracks to the FW I/Os, using the software mixer bus(es)/send/returns.

all the best

I

btbyrd

I don't think it's a chipset/driver problem. The H8000FW isn't recognized by any of the computers I tried it with (a windows XP / TI chipset; a Vista laptop with a Ricoh chipset, or a Macintosh Powerbook). None of these computers even detect that the H8000 is connected, and they all have in the past.

It's also not an issue with the FW cable.

On the back of the Eventide next to the two firewire ports, there are 2 red LEDs which (I think) indicate FW activity. The bottom LED is ALWAYS ON – even when there's no FW cable connected to either input (and nothing else is connected to the H8000FW).  Could this be indicative of a problem?

IDeangelis

The bottom LED stays on. Doesn't indicate a problem.

I would try:
      -complete uninstall of the drivers from ALL your computers.
      -reset the unit to factory defaults, powering with 8 key. Press & hold it when you see "H8000FW" on the display, then follow instructions- Erases all YOUR presets, not the factory's.

I

btbyrd

I reinitialized the H8000 by holding down 8 during the boot cycle, but this didn't resolve the problem. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, and that didn't help either. Is there be a way to test whether or not the Firewire I/O hardware is working on the Eventide? 

IDeangelis

The best test is to play an audio file from your PC thru the Eventide.
      After drivers installation, carefully check the "Configuring the H8000FW for PC Output" section on the user manual. It explains how to do that.

let us know.

I

btbyrd

I cannot play computer audio through the H8000 because no computer hardware is detecting that the H8000 is connected. If I connect it to any of my three computers, it makes no difference (it's as though I've inserted a Firewire cable with nothing on the other end). Windows (XP and Vista) can't see it; OS X can't see it. Consequently, DICE can't see it either.

On the H8000, no matter what is connected over FW the firewire status remains "unlocked."

A few days ago, it was working fine, and was locked (all the time) to the TI Firewire chipset on my Windows XP rig. But it stopped working, and now can't be detected by any computer I've tried it with (with or without drivers). So I think it's a hardware issue, but I'm not sure what would have caused the problem.

IDeangelis

Our tech support will contact you shortly.

kind regards
      I

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.