Bus Error on Startup

Home Forums Products Rackmount Bus Error on Startup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Splaaat
      Participant

Hello,

I hadn't used my H8000FW in a couple of weeks. Today I finally fired it up and it refuses to startup correctly.

Sometimes I only get a white display. On rebooting, it passes through all the tests and after 'Initialization', presents me with,

A bus error has occurred.  (E12)

Program: D04048C0

Data: D04048C0

Please write these down and reboot.

I've tried rebooting a couple of times and was presented with the same error. I have no idea what causes this.

I'm on Firmware 5.5 beta. Would updating to the final 5.5 release sort this error?

I even opened up the top panel and checked if any connections were loose. No luck.

Please help me sort this issue out. : ( Hope it's nothing serious.

Thank You.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This problem could have a number olf causes and solutions. The software version is unlikely to be an issue. Things to try (in order):

1) Remove any cards.

2) clear the currently loaded program – hold down PROGRAM at the second startup screen.

3) Clear SETUP – hold down SETUP at the second startup screen. This will return the configuration to factory defaults but not erase user presets.

4) Open the unit and "wiggle" all connectors and socketed parts. U106 (square chip at center of motherboard) was socketed on older units and could case many an various problems if loose.

5) Clear everything – hold down '8' at second startup screen. This WILL erase user presets.

6) contact support@eventide.com.

Splaaat
      Participant

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your prompt response. I was hoping to try out the solutions mentioned by you, but now all I get is the White Screen of Death when I switch it on. I'm taking it to the dealer today as there is a technician out there.

I did try re-opening the unit and wiggling the wires. My unit is only 8 months old, the U106 attached in. Since it's under warranty, I'll give that route a try. 

Splaaat
      Participant

Hello Nick,

I just spoke to the distributors here and they've told me that they need to send the unit back as they can't fix it. 🙁

I was wondering, how long does it usually take for it to be sent back repaired and returned? Like I mentioned, I have the White Screen of Death, no idea what the issue is. The only reason I ask is since I have some important projects lined up and the distributor mentioned that it takes almost a month. Is that true? 

On an another note, how long does the warranty last? Is it a year or 3 years? I'm concerned since this issue just randomly popped up as my unit completes a year I think. 

Thank you.

bhaberman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Sorry about the problems you are having, Splaaat.  Warranty is one year.  Who is the distributor you are working with?  Please email me @ bhaberman@eventide.com including the serial number of your unit. 

Splaaat
      Participant

Hello,

After the recent bus error issue, I just picked up my unit a couple of days back when it came back from servicing. It worked fine for the first few days. I even managed to get some of mixes done, using it for long hours.

Now, suddenly the unit displays a white screen after a couple of minutes of being turned on.

Some of the random stuff which happened,

i) The level meters initially showed some weird blotch of LED's turned on.
      ii) The screen would dim it self.
      iii) The switching noise you hear when you press bypass pops up everytime before it conks out.

I managed to get it to work for about 10mins today morning, before the issue started popping up again.

It boots up fine. I tried all the methods Nick posted earlier in this thread (Resetting, removing memory card etc.) I even tried different power supplies.

I guess my only option is to send it back again. Will be returning it to the dealer tomorrow. 

zap
      Participant

Please don't tell me I am going to have to open my unit myself.

in addition, why don't the arrow keys move more instantly, and why does the selection of programs take about a second to kick in when changing programs?   What will be of this when in a live setting and presets don't change upon engagement at a particular beat instant?  Is the 7600 delayed in switching like this too?

And finally – why does it sound like there is a filter engaged when setting everything to "thru"?  It says that is just a in routes straight to out…. but why the filtering ouf of the highs?

I will try to be patient here but this overall outcome and experience has headed in very disturbing directions considering the cost.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Zap:

Please don't tell me I am going to have to open my unit myself.

No reason why you should.

Zap:

why does the selection of programs take about a second to kick in when changing programs?  

The larger programs do not load immediately. This is because they are large.

Zap:

why does it sound like there is a filter engaged when setting everything to "thru"? 

It sound like you are mixing the output with an external dry signal. All digital equipment has a slight delay (A/D conversion time, etc), and this can cause slight cancellation of highs if mixed with an undelayed signal. But, there is no reason to use it like this with a Thru signal – typically you either use the wet/dry mix on the unit, or a send/return from a mixer.

Splaaat
      Participant

I finally received a brand new replacement unit after a round of failures and shipping back and forth.

I would like to thank the Eventide team for the awesome support. Bhaber and Nick, thanks for all the help.

Cheers.

bhaberman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Thank you for your patience and nice words, Splaaat!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.