Bypass

Home Forums Products Rackmount Bypass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Skerikmusic
      Participant

Hi Italo and everyone,

I use my Eclipse live on stage, mono in, stereo out. Most recent non-Beta software….

I am trying to set my passive effects bypass footswitch to mute the DSP. I have it set to 'DSP byp' per the manual… But when I change patches, the Eclipse cuts tehe bypass off, and I have to hit the bypass switch again, and then again because the light is still on my switch. Is there a way to set a general DSP bypass, that over rides patch changing? I've never had this problem with Lexicons, etc. And don't see anything in the manual addressing this issue.

Thanks!!!
      Skerik….

ALSO,
      The factory patch 'VINTAGE DDL' will not respond to DSP byp (bypass) via my footswitch at all. Suggestions?

IDeangelis

Hi Sherik

sorry but it's not clear what the problem is. I need a more detailed description of which type of footswitch you are using (latched/unlatched), how it is patched in the Eclipse and how would you expect it to work.

thanks

Skerikmusic
      Participant

Italo,

I am using a 'latched' footswitch (passive) that is connected to the Eclipose 'footswitch 1' port via 1/4" cable.
      The Eclipse also supplies power (via the 1/4" cable) to illuminate the 'red light' on the pedal.
      I want to be able to use the bypass switch to 'bypass' the Eclipse effects and use my 'acoustic sound'….
      The rest is mentioned in my previous message……

Thanks!!!

Skerik….k

IDeangelis

Sorry, the description is incomplete.

-is the cable mono or stereo 1/4"?

-please describe how BYPASS is patched to the switch inside the Eclipse, as previously requested.

thanks

Skerikmusic
      Participant

1/4 inch mono cable from latched footswitch to pedal 1 input of Eclipse.

Internally set to 'DSP BYPASS'…..

The rest is before….

Is that complete?

Thanks, S

IDeangelis

Skerik

I need to know how the pedal is internally patched to bypass.

Edit your Eclipse and report the programming aspect of this.

Hope this is clear.

thanks

Skerikmusic
      Participant

Italo,

I'm sorry, but all I can see in the manual is 3 choices for BYPASS. 'DSP bypass', 'mute all',
      and 'relay bypass'… I have 'DSP By' set in the Eclipse. Please enlighten me on other choices??

Thanks, S

IDeangelis

Hi Skerik

ok, my point is about how you patch the footswitch to the BYPASS function.

What you just described is how you want the BYPASS to work and sound like.

To engage BYPASS with a footswitch you need to patch it to the bypass function. I'd like a description of how you did that.

thanks

Skerikmusic
      Participant

Italo,

Thanks, but I can't tell you anything else besides what I've written??
      Latched footswitch, mono cord, pedal input 1, 'DSP BYPASS'….

Please give me an example of what info you are looking for????

Thanks, S

IDeangelis

Ok!

The BYPASS won't remotely work if it's not patched to an external controller, being it a footswitch, a pedal or a MIDI CC message.

If you press SETUP 3 times you'll see an EXTERNAL menu. Press its key, then the SETUP key again, a few times, until you see a BYPASS menu. Here you can patch an external device to your Eclipse BYPASS. If this hasn't been done, the BYPASS won't be remote controlled.

IDeangelis

Skerik

even though it's not clear what the problem is, I would suggest you to use a passive (not battery powered) footswitch that has *no LED* on it.

all the best

Skerikmusic
      Participant

Italo,

So, I went in to the EXTERNAL menus, everything is 'PEDAL 1'…..
      I still have the same problem, everytime I switch patches, it ignores
      the 'bypass', until I switch the bypass pedal again….
      Please advise.
      Thanks, Skerik….

IDeangelis

Please, as adviced already, use a different footswitch withou LEDs.

You do not have to set all EXternals to Pedal 1.

best

Skerikmusic
      Participant

What is the ideal setting for the Externals for this applicaltion, footswitch without LED.

Thanks, S

IDeangelis

If you need to remote the unit BYPASS, the same as the Bypass key function, you don't need Externals; the reason is that BYPASS as a dedicated patching area.

Press SETUP > EXTERNALS several times until you see BYPASS on the left side of  the display. Press its key. Here is where you will patch a footswitch connected to Eclipse Pedal 1/2 to the Bypass function. On the second screen it also offers a TRIGMODE function which allows software configuration of the switch as momentary (unlatched) or Off/On (latched).

best

Skerikmusic
      Participant

OK Italo!!!

Thanks for your patience. I realize now that we should not use the electrical current from the PEDAL 1 jack to power any LEDs for a bypass switch. My tech has dismantled that part of the bypass switch. I can now globally bypass the Eclipse without MIDI patch changes disabling the bypass function!! And the red bypass light on the front panel of the Eclipse goes on for the first time!!!

But now, (ah yes, here it comes, sorry) whenever I hit bypass, the dry signal jumps in gain, louder than any non-bypass setting.
      I am using the mono input 1 1/4", stereo 1/4" outputs, pedal 1 input bypass, latched. Global analog input and output levels are at '0'.. I use it live on stage, my signal passes thru the Eclipse at all times, whether in bypass, or using effects, which are usually set at 50% to 65% wet….. I can't find anything in the manual dealing with this problem.

Thanks!!!!

Skerik……

IDeangelis

Try setting BYPASS = Relay Byp, under SETUP > Modes > (Bypass)

Skerikmusic
      Participant

H Italo,

In my configuration. RELAY BYPASS does not pass any audio when activated. Neither does MUTE ALL, only DSP BYPASS passes dry audio. Is it correct that RELAY BYPASS only works when using balanced XLR outputs? I am using unbalanced 1/4" cables, stereo analog outputs.

Help???

Thanks, Skerik…..

Also, where can I learn about "LOW, MED, HIGH" in Externals, there is no mention of them in my manual. What do they do, etc????

IDeangelis

Correct! There are some limitations with Bypass and type of connectors.

Relay Byp 

When this is selected, the analog XLR inputs and outputs are connected by a relay (you can hear it click when you operate the switch). The digital inputs and outputs are connected electronically, as in DSP bypass.
      The ?? jacks will be muted, so you should not use relay bypass if you are using these jacks. Note that when Eclipse is powered down, the same relay connects the analog XLRs, so that signal can pass through.
      DSP Byp (DSP bypass – the normal mode)
      When this is selected, both effects blocks are electronically bypassed, preserving all global levels. This
      means, for example, that if you were coming in digital and going out analog, you would still have signal when bypassed, in contrast to relay bypass above.
      Mute All
      An alternative to normal bypass ? this mutes the signal passing through the Eclipse.

Well…

-why are you usning 1/4"? how the rig is configured?= What tyupe of signal is fed to Eclipse?

-you may have to live with the way your system works or get a mixer to run fx in parallel to dry sound. 

LOW/MED(ium)/HIGH mean simply what they mean! 0%/50%/100%.

When you patch a parameter to any of them, it will be set to the correspondent value in its range.

Skerikmusic
      Participant

Thanks for all the help and advice Italo!!!

So right now I have to have externals set to HIGH, or the bypass won't work at all in DSP bypass mode. If it is set to PEDAL 1, the effects don't go on. But when I bypass, the gain jumps up making it un-useable.

I'm very disappointed that the Eclipse cannot be used with the 1/4" outputs. These kinds of effects processors have always been used last in the chain, I don't know why they designed it without this in mind.
      I cannot run the XLR outputs into a DI!! Crazy grounding issues….
      I hope there is a software update or design change in the future for people who use the Eclipse without an effects loop, mixer or switching system.

FYI, I run a microphone into a mic pre (with an adjustable input and output gain control) 1/4" out into several effects boxes, then mono 1/4" into the Eclipse, then 1/4" stereo output into a stereo DI box, then to FOH and split to my own powered monitor.

To use the Eclipse now, I have to build a mini switching system that totally bypasses the entire Eclipse to a separate DI box just to bypass the Eclipse effects!!! Which adds weight and cost to my system…..

Please let me know if you think of anything else that could help me use this gear without a separate mixer or switching system…..

Thanks!!
      Skerik…..

IDeangelis

Hi Sherik

I have replied to this last posting of yours hours ago…but for some mysterious reason (cosmic rays, aliens interference) my reply must have gone lost!

So…here we go again….

You say:

" So right now I have to have externals set to HIGH, or the bypass won't
      work at all in DSP bypass mode. If it is set to PEDAL 1, the effects
      don't go on. But when I bypass, the gain jumps up making it un-useable."

I don't understand why you would need externals  to be on HIGH or the Byp won't work. I need a description. 

and you say:

"I'm very disappointed that the Eclipse cannot be used with the 1/4"
      outputs. These kinds of effects processors have always been used last
      in the chain"

I have just tried connecting gtr > Eclipse > combo amp gtr input, using 1/4" jacks. Bypass is set on DSP Bypass and wors ok. You have to understand how *all* digital fx processor dry/wet balance works as things are correct on Eclipse.

The output signal has a max level. You can't have more than that or D/A converters would distort in a nasty way you won't like at all. When you have dry/wet balance set to 0% or 100% the sound will only be full dry or full wet. Each of them will take the whole output level. Infact if you load any preset, change Wet/Dry Mix to 0%, that's FULL DRY. If you press the Bypass key you won't hear any level change, right? That's because DRY is taking the whole signal bandwidth. Any other "in between" Dry/Wet setting will split the bandwidth (= LEVEL) between dry and wet..so when you engage bypass the dry sound will jump up to full level as wet is removed. This is perfectly normal. All my Pro Audio FX work in this way…many brands in my rack!

These units are not designed to be the last in a chain; they are designed with pro_audio approach in mind. Any instrument signal sounds best if not processed/converted in series…rather managed in parallel to a digital FX signal (wet), using splitters/mixers/routers. That's what professionals do in their systems. It's very important to consider technology building aspects when planning out a new system.

Now, when old style or vintage amps are used, with no FX loops, you are left with not many options:

-change amps or having qualified amp tech adding FX loops (parallel type)

-you could use a MIDI CC message to change the system Dry/Wet balance to simulate bypass…a pedal would allow you to get only dry sou8nd when you want.

-use some kind of line selector to add/remove Eclipse from the signal chain. BOSS makes an LS-2 model I have used in the past. It's pretty good. You may need 2 if the system is stereo (I don't know). Chsck Boss website for more info. 

all the best

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.