Can I route the signal like this in the H8000fw?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Can I route the signal like this in the H8000fw?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Dyonight
      Participant

Hi!

I'd like to use the four analog inputs on the H8000fw as converter to ADAT (no processing, just straight conversion) and use the 4 AES/EBU  (XLR) channels to loop audio from and to my workstaion. All this at 96khz.

So, one path is:

External preamps (4 channels) – analog xlr inputs – ADAT ouputs (4 channels at 96khz)

AND at the SAME TIME:

AES/EBU inputs (xlr, 4channels) – H8000fw processors – AES/EBU ouputs (XLR, 4 channels)

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I assume your question is "can I do this ?"

You can, with one caveat – normal ADAT will only run at 48K or less. A special form of ADAT called S-MUX will run at 96K, giving only 4 channels. The H8000FW supports S-MUX, although it has not been heavily tested, because almost nothing else DOES support it. So, assuming your other ADAT gear handles S-MUX, you should be fine.

Another question might be "how do I do this." You need to understand H8000 routing, and connect the following:

1) Analog 1-4 to Main Inputs 1-4

2) AES 1-4 (or 11-14) to Main Inputs 5-8.

3) Main Outputs 1-4  to Main Inputs 1-4 (will show as Analog 1-4)

4) Main Outputs 5-8 to dsps as appropriate

5) Main Outputs 1-4 to ADAT 1-4

See attached Routing screen for more details.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hello,

have a look here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13733030@N02/5037134598/

Nick, I tried to see your attached gif, but it doesn't do anything. Tell me, if mine is wrong.

Regards, Yannis

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi Yannis

Thanks – that looks like it – I haven't learnt how to send attachments yet (or maybe our system is not working properly).

Dyonight
      Participant

Fine many thanks guys!

I wonder also if it is possible to use the firewire connection on my setup since I have already a USB interface as the heart of my system.  I run it in ASIO and use Sonar Producer 8.5 on a PC.

I know it is not possible  (or don't know how!) to run two asio driver at the same time in Sonar but will I be able to send audio to and from the H8000fw via firewire (as extrenal loop) without conflictiong with my main interface, which is a VS700R?  

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The FireWire driver will appear as either ASIO or WDM. Given that you probably don't want the WDM you then hit the ASIO limitations.

You may be better off using ADAT or AES to talk to the PC.

Dyonight
      Participant

Ok I understand.

So, I suppose I'll be able to edit its parameter via VSIG and route everything using firewire but won't use/see its inputs in Sonar, right?

Anyway if I'm not able to patch this beast with everything it offer I better quit recording forever!

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sadly, we can't redesign ASIO. People who know more about it than I may have better ideas.

If you use AES/ADAT to your PC soundcard, presumably you would see those inputs in your DAW.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.