Can I use the Eclipse as a DI

Home Forums Products Rackmount Can I use the Eclipse as a DI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      zap
      Participant

I am wondering, if I want to stop using my crappy m-audio 'instrument input' on my first generation m-audio sound card, but instead would like to use it's optical or spdif input, can I just plug-my guitar directly into the eclipse at instrument level to use it as some sort of DI (instead of buying an apogee rosetta for better conversion)  and therefore run maybe only an EQ in the eclipse, and then output the eclipse to those digital formats?  But does the eclipse have a properly matched buffer to condiition a low level high impedance guitar signal?

And in another different situation, if I want to first use my POD X3 pro first, then output that SPDIF or Adat optical to the eclipse and then output again spdif or optical to my m-audio – i am confused as to what becomes the master digital clock and which becomes slaved to it in this chain of various digitally signal equipped devices operating at various sample rates.

and finally 3), if i do use this  mass-produced X3 to Eclipse digitall and then out from eclipse digitally… will the eclipse increase the quality of the signal to be comparable to something like an Axe FX from Fractal Audio (which all the big guitar players are using right now to replace all their amps because apparently it is the 'Access Virus of all guitar rack units'.   But someone just said to plug into the eclipse and that will enhance the POD X3 signal close enough to be comparable to the Axe FX.

Please help with my three concerns.

Thanks

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Zap:

can I just plug-my guitar directly into the eclipse at instrument level to use it as some sort of DI

You can do this and it should certainly be better than a sound card. But, there are many factors that influence sound quality, especially with a guitar. Try it and see if you like it – you probably need to adjust the gain (LEVELS {IN GAIN}). The 1/4" input is designed to accept all but the lowest output guitars.

Zap:

what becomes the master digital clock

If you are connecting digitally, everything typically runs at the same sample rate. This means that something somewhere has to determine the sample rate, or master clock. In a simple system, this will be the first thing in the chain – in your case your PodX3. The digital connections will maintain the clock rate down the chain. Be aware that this is a complex topic, and the above just scratches the surface…

Zap:

will the eclipse increase the quality of the signal

Pretty much nothing in the signal chain will increase the quality of a signal – things tend to degrade. But, a good effects unit like an Eclipse (or Axe Fx) can make it sound better – useful, but not quite the same thing. All this is very subjective, so you have to try it and see.

zap
      Participant

But is it variable Z impedance?  Because Digidesign forum members are saying to just get an eleven rack, but if the impedance can be properly matched to an electric guitar with either avtive or passive pickups, then i see no reason for buying an eleven rack for DI purposes.

You say nothing in the chain will increase quality.  But this guy names J i go to for knowledge says the eventide will act as almost an aural excited, even if i dont use any effects, but just pass the signal through it maybe through some block thats doesn't do much.   This could be true, because before i passed through a crappy rough signal but it definetly increased the fidelity in a synthetic way.

Yes I', getting ok results… but what would you or your best engineers say is the noticeably higher qualit method from the following two options:  1) passing the signal through eclipse and then in optical DI to my interface and then using Pod Farm in Pro Tools to process that increased quality signal… or 2)  First plugging into my Pod X3 (which is exactly the same engine as the Pod Farm Plug-in with the exact same preset (trust me it sounds exactly the same), and then going out of that spdif (the only option) and in spdif to the eventide eclipse, and then out of the eclipse digitally either spdif or optical to my sound card?  Because intuitively, it seems that improving a signal before the distortion and virttual.amps/mics and  cabs in pro tools would not have much effect as exciting the signal after the fact like with option#2.  Becauee once i had an aural exciter pedal and it did not do much to the signal before input… but did alot more in the fx loop when placed after distortion.

And finally,  I was told by some other salesman that the eclipse sound quality is as high fidelity as the 8000 and 7600.  Is this true?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The impedance is not usually an issue if it is high enough – Eclipse is 150K, which is higher than many. Don't think there is a meaningful concept of "impedance matching" with a guitar. But, note that the tone will vary with lower impedances – this you have to judge for yourself. As I understand it, the Eleven rack changes its impedance to simulate various vintage pedals – you have to judge whether this is valuable to you. Digidesign says "There's no right or wrong way to do this, experiment until you feel like
      you have a configuration that sounds and feels right!" I would concur – these things are very subjective and I can't know what would please you.

Nothing in the chain will increase quality (as defined by the absence of bad things). But, some effects may make it sound better (to your ears) – this is not the same thing.

The order of effects is important – but it depends on what you are trying to achieve – beyond this Forum to advise on such.

The 7600 and 8000  have slightly better analog circuitry than Eclipse, but this is unlikely to be noticeable in guitar applications.

zap
      Participant

ok, but it does act almost like an aural exciter right?

wh,wh, whoa… analog?  this is news to me – According to the Eventide website all this stuff is DSP.  Now you really got me on that one.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.