Can’t update H8000FW w/CF card

Home Forums Products Rackmount Can’t update H8000FW w/CF card

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      flesh57
      Participant

I purchased a used H8000FW that boots fine and is running version 5.2. I have cleared the setup utilizing  the “Service” tab.

I have tried multiple times to update from version 5.2 to 5.61 utilizing a PCMCIA to CF adapter with no success.

I have all SanDisk products (PCMCIA to CF adapter, 256MB CF card and 512MB CF card).

I have tried both cards after formatting on the unit and loading the 5.61 version on them.

I have followed the instructions (insert card into slot with power off and then power the unit on holding down the #2 key).

However, after the unit boots it instructs me to “release key now” and then shows the OUPDATE screen with the options of “restart” and “done.”

There is never any blinking of the LED to indicate that the card slot is busy.

If I continue to hold down the #2 key, I get the message that there may be a issue with the keypad and the unit shifts into test mode. However, after letting the test mode cycle I get no error messages.

I have not tried updating via the 9-pin serial cable nor have I tried saving any presets to the inserted CF card.

As a newbie am I doing something wrong or do I need to send the unit in for possible servicing? Thanks in advance for any helpful input.

flesh57

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

My best guess is that you have a problem with the card. Try again with an new unused card of 1G or below. DO NOT FORMAT IT.

If that does not work send the card and adaptor for my attention to support@eventide.com

flesh57
      Participant

Are the CF cards supposed to be formatted in FAT? Before I tried formatting the CF cards on the unit I tansferred the update files to a brand new SanDisk 512MB CF card that was formatted in FAT and got the same results as described in my original post. That’s why I tried using the unit to format the CF cards figuring that that may have been the issue.

I notice that an advertisement picture shows a CaliforniaPC.com pcmcia to cf adapter card. Is that brand of adapter and cf card recommended? Maybe I should also try a new pcmcia to cf card adapter as well as a new cf card.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        flesh57 wrote:

Are the CF cards supposed to be formatted in FAT? Before I tried formatting the CF cards on the unit I tansferred the update files to a brand new SanDisk 512MB CF card that was formatted in FAT and got the same results as described in my original post. That's why I tried using the unit to format the CF cards figuring that that may have been the issue.

I notice that an advertisement picture shows a CaliforniaPC.com pcmcia to cf adapter card. Is that brand of adapter and cf card recommended? Maybe I should also try a new pcmcia to cf card adapter as well as a new cf card.

Please follow my instructions completely, otherwise I cannot help you.

flesh57
      Participant

Will do! I have purchased a brand new PCMCIA to CF card adapter and a brand new 512MB Type 1 CF card. I will attempt the update when the items are received.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Great – hopefully that will work.

flesh57
      Participant

Brand new adaper and CF card (512MB) with the same negative result; not able to update from version 5.2 to 5.61.

Any other suggestions before I have to ship the unit for inspection?

Thanks,

flesh57

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Two things to try:

1) Send me a complete list of everything you see and do from powerup.

2) Send me a complete list of the files and directories on the card.

flesh57
      Participant

1) Adapter card with CF card inserted with power off

-holding down #2 key unit is powered on

-(screen) Eventide the next step

-()EVE/NET present

-(screen) H8000 powering on…1.250

-(screen) Release key now

-(screen) OUPDATE awaiting contact with options of release (L) or done (R)

2) see attachment

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Your screenshot appears to show the contents of the .zip file.

What should be on the card (in the root directory) are the actual discrete expanded files.

If you have just copied the .zip file to the card, the H8000 will not see it, which could explain your problem.

flesh57
      Participant

I opened the .zip file and copied the 6 files shown in the prior attached screenshot to the cf card. I can open the 2 .txt files, one is an .exe file but the 3 other files are not recognized by Windows 10 and can’t be opened. What am I doing wrong? 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not being there with you, I can't see exactly what you are doing.

Usually, if you right-click on a .zip file, it will give you an "Extract To" option, where you can tell it where to put the expanded files.

It's possible you have corrupted this by installing some other software. If all else fails, subscribe to "WinZip"

flesh57
      Participant

When using WinZip the folder that shows the extracted files only shows the 6 files as posted in the earlier screenshot and the autoexec.bat file is hidden as clicking on the properties option within the opened folder shows that there are indeed 7 files within the folder that the files were extracted to.

At this point Nick I’m pretty frustrated and am feeling somewhat defeated. I can send you my adapter and CF cards as earlier suggested or am also willing to purchase a CF card directly from Eventide with the 5.61 update properly loaded on to it.

If either of those options don’t work then I guess I’ll have to send the unit in for servicing and updating.

Respectfully,

flesh57

tmoravan
        Participant
        flesh57 wrote:

When using WinZip the folder that shows the extracted files only shows the 6 files as posted in the earlier screenshot and the autoexec.bat file is hidden as clicking on the properties option within the opened folder shows that there are indeed 7 files within the folder that the files were extracted to.

At this point Nick I’m pretty frustrated and am feeling somewhat defeated. I can send you my adapter and CF cards as earlier suggested or am also willing to purchase a CF card directly from Eventide with the 5.61 update properly loaded on to it.

If either of those options don’t work then I guess I’ll have to send the unit in for servicing and updating.

Respectfully,

flesh57

Note that you said the files are sitting in the folder they were extracted to, which won’t work.

All the separate files in the ZIP should be in the root (top level) folder in the same place as the ZIP file.  If they are not there, change to the folder that has all the files, select them all (with the mouse/shift key or by pressing Ctrl and ‘A’ together), right click and choose copy (or cut if you are brave) (or press Ctrl and ‘C’ together), change to the root/top folder, right click and select paste (or press Ctrl and ‘V’ together).

Now try the install.

flesh57
      Participant

While at work using Windows 7 I went into Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab and checked “Show hidden files, folder, and drives” and unchecked “Hide extensions for known file types” and “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).”

I opened the folder containing the extracted files and the hidden file autoexec.bat is now showing for a total of 7 files.

I burned the files to a CD and will bring them home, load them onto my 512MB CF card and again try to attempt to update to version 5.61.

I’m  hoping that this is the solution to my problem and will report back with either success or failure.

flesh57 

flesh57
      Participant

Thanks for the info tmorvan. The attachment shows the exact order of the extracted files which is the same heirarchy shown in WinZip.

flesh57
      Participant

SUCCESSsmiley

It all hinged on being able to “unhide” the autoexec.bat file as described in my prior post. I know that this is likely mundane for most but it was a small challenge for me. The most important thing is that I got it figured out.

Thanks to Nick, Italo and tmoravan for their patience and assistance, much appreciated.

serkantemiz
        Participant
        flesh57 wrote:

SUCCESSsmiley

It all hinged on being able to “unhide” the autoexec.bat file as described in my prior post. I know that this is likely mundane for most but it was a small challenge for me. The most important thing is that I got it figured out.

Thanks to Nick, Italo and tmoravan for their patience and assistance, much appreciated.

aoutoexec.bat file is must important.  

oupdate is not work if the autoexec.bat file is missing.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.