Changing battery on a DSP7000

Home Forums Products Rackmount Changing battery on a DSP7000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      homer
      Participant

Hi all,

just lately I realized that the battery in my DSP7000 has already seen some mileage and I guess it may get critical soon. Now I recall that there has been some information around on the web how to change the battery but I cannot find it anymore. For this reason I would like to know from you guys the necessary procedures in order to keep my current setup when changing the battery? Second I would like to know the type of battery thats used (I did not open the unit til now) and in case it is not avilable today it would be good to know what the adequate replacement cell would be. Could you give me some detailed step by step instructions?

Regards

J

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

First of all, back up everything as best you can. Then obtain a BR2330 or CR2330. These are Panasonic numbers, other manufacturers will have equivalents.

If you want to change the battery without losing information, it gets more difficult. If you are not a skilled and experienced technician, stop reading immediately and find someone who is (a dealer's Service Dept would be a place to start). If you are suitably qualified, you will not need further instruction.

Stored information can only be preserved by opening the unit and replacing the battery with the power connected. THIS EXPOSES YOU TO POTENTIAL DANGEROUS VOLTAGES AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED AND MUST BE PERFORMED ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

You get the picture – do a decent backup to a reliable card AND a computer, then you should be able to reinit and reinstall after changing the battery. If for some unknown reason it doesn't work, you'll just have to recreate the settings.

homer
      Participant

Ok, thanks. I will try to get one of the cells. So is there any specific reason you stress the backup to card AND computer. I mean I don't have the original sram card and the NOS ones are pretty expensive. Therefore I think a backup to my computer should be sufficient, right?

Regards

J

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Just playing safe – don't want anything to get lost.

unguitar
      Participant

Hi,

is the battery in a H8000FW the same ?

It looks like this model is very hard to find in Italy. We have a vast number of 2032 though !

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

A 2032 is a little smaller and doesn't have quite the capacity (75%), but it should be OK.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi Nick

is there a way to find the remaining life battery from the diagnostics menu in the H8000-FW? I got mine in May 2008 – what's the average life expectancy of the battery?

Regards, Yannis

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sadly there is no battery life meter. You could measure it with a voltmeter – it should be good down to about 2.0V.

They normally last 7-10 years, depending on use. The battery only supplies power when the unit is switched off.

unguitar
      Participant

Sorry,

I opened my H8000FW to replace the battery but can't find it anywhere !

Can you please tell me the secret place ?

thanks,

Luca

You'll have to remove the firewire board.  There are four screws on the back panel and three screws on the firewire interface board itself.  Undo all seven screws, then gently but firmly lift up on the firewire board to disconnect it from the motherboard.

Be careful when you reinstall the firewire board!  Make sure you get the pins correctly lined up before pressing the board down into place…

unguitar
      Participant

Thank you Doug,

your informations allowed my mission to hit a sure target. I did the job.

This is one of those times warning messages about disconnecting power for your safe are quite generous. I can't think what could happen to the super delicate circuits if you do this job with power connected. You can sure risk your health and that's the most important thing, but it looks like it would be a sure homicide for the machine.

Battery is surely placed in the most anti-ergonomic/practical place you can think about !

thanks for your help Doug !

Luca

Just in case other people decide to change the battery in their Harmonizer:

I didn't mention this before, but I hope you are following proper ESD procedures.  Always make sure that you keep everything grounded (including you) so that there is no problem with static.  That is what can kill those delicate circuits you mention…

My guess is the the H8000 (Orville?) motherboard was designed before the firewire board, so when they originally built it, the battery location was probably fine…

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.