Chipset/converters Orville & H8000FW

Home Forums Products Rackmount Chipset/converters Orville & H8000FW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      boeklanoei

My questions are related ONLY to the sound quality  wise of the converters/DSP processor/chipset. Not to the power of these unit as if in: speed, load multiple patches & output & routing options.

1. Does the Orville & the H8000FW have the same DSP processor? Chipset? Converters? If not how is possible then that the Orville is upgrade-able to an H8000?

2. Does the H8000,H7600 and the H8000FW all have the same chipset/converters/DSP processor?

3. What is the manufacter date of the Orville & the H8000(FW)? And the date of outcome to the market?

A short answerd per question will do. Thanx!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Some of this stuff is proprietary information. Broadly, an H8000 has similar hardware to a late Orville, except its dsps are faster. This means that an Orville needs its dsps replacing, and often some of the memory parts as well. A FireWire board and software are also added.

A 7600 has only a single dsp and lower quality converters, along with no FireWire.

boeklanoei

1. How can I see if it is an early Orville or a late one?

2. Is there a good noticable sound between an H8000 and an Orville soundwise? If I run the same standard preset trough an orville & an H8000 do I hear noticable differents?

3. What is the date of birth of both units?

Thanx for your commentz!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

They are about three different varieties of Orville -if you contact support@eventide.com they will tell you the differences.

When running the same preset there will probably not usually be many audible differences – this is the wonder of digital audio. The later models may have improved converters or improvements to the presets, but this will not usually be dramatic, or in itself worth the upgrade cost.

The main reasons to upgrade would be if you want the FireWire, extra AES and more and better presets.

Can't easily give you the dates – I'll guess and say 1999 and 2006.

boeklanoei

I dont have any upgrade plans ( putting FW etc to an Orville).

Is there a 'lot' of differents between the converters/chipset between the 3 Orville models? 

violetpow
      Participant

I have an Orville Rev 2/3 and an H8000FW and they sounded slightly different. The Orville sounded more round and the H8000Fw more cristal. But every unit has its charm. If you plan to program with vsig be prepared to a lot of bugs in the Orville OS. The H8000 OS will be developed and becomes better, but the update schedule of eventide is very slow.

boeklanoei

no, Vsig or multiple routings or multiple I/O plans for Orville. The Rev/ 3 different type things have nothing to do with the software version right? The 3 different types of the Orville is about hardware thing right (chipset/converters)?

violetpow
      Participant

right, the OS of the Orville has nothing to do with the converter, but the preset of the Orville are simpler because of the DSP power. If you load an Orville patch to an H8000 the patch sounds different.

boeklanoei

Where and how  (on the unit self) can I see I have to do with/ dealing with an Orville REV 1,2 or  3?

Can I also find in the related manual of the unit?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – don't understand.

boeklanoei

There seems to be 3 different types of converters/chipset of the Orville: Rev 1/3,2/3 en 3/3 so I've understand. Where and how (on the Orville self) can I see, with what type of Orville I have to do? 

Type 1/3, 2/3 of 3/3. And can i see this also in the manual? The 1/3 seems to be the early Orville back at the late 90'  and I asume that the other to versions of the Orville converters/chipset/DSP are more new.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I understand that you have been in touch with our support people who have given you this information. If it does not make sense to you you would get better results by discussing it with them.

But, I'm puzzled here – what is it that you are really trying to find out ? It might help us to help you if you were to explain.

boeklanoei

Reason why: I might consider to take an Extra harmonizer besides the H8000. (xtra power ,options etc) and i would like to give it a go for an Orville. That;s why I'm so interested in the compairising of the converters/chipset (sound quality) wise of these 2.

Version 1 of the Orville seems not the thing to go for me right now. So Is there much difference between the Orville rev 2/3 and the 3/3? Sound quality wise (converters/chipset)? Do they have totally different converters/chipset? And as far as manufacter date between the orville version 2 & 3?

Thank U, I'm almost having the picture of knowledge completed. Just the last couple of details.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Again, not a huge difference – the bigger differences are between Orville and H8000.

Don't have the dates for 2/3 (sorry).

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.