clicking noises

Home Forums Products Rackmount clicking noises

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Siem
      Participant

I've got a problem with my H8000fw with patches 4210, 4211, 4212 and some others.
      I get clicking noise with processor A, I recorded some: http://90wattsmedia.com/simon/kut2deepspace.wav

I've had a similar problems like this before my H8000fw broke some months ago. The unit didn't want to boot at first today so I opened it and pressed the bootrom, this helped.

IDeangelis

Hi Siem

I have just checked the presets you mention. I have no noise here. The audiofile you uploaded isn't really clear about the noise.

My H8000FW is running on S/Pdif 3/4, stereo I/O, processing a CD with audio samples and loops. The 3 presets are very clean, no noise at all. My LEDs are in the green zone, where they should be w/digital input.

I'd need more details on how you run yours, which clock, which OS version, etc.

You may want to check chip U106, a big square one on the left side of the bootrom. Push it.

all the best

I

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You may well have a hardware fault.

If Italo can't resolve the problem you should contact support@eventide.com to have it checked.

Siem
      Participant

The unit is connected by firewire to a Mac Pro running Mac OS X 10.5.6 and the H8000fw is 5.3
      resetting to factory defaults doesn't help. The strange thing is 4209, also a reverb preset, works fine and many other presets also work fine (I haven't checked all ofcourse). Eventide Dice controls my H8000fw.
      It's aggregated with a Lynx Aurora with a firewire card (connected to a seperate firewire card in the computer).
      I clock an Apogee BigBen from the AES 3/4 outputs, when I clock it from AES 1/2 the BigBen can't see the right frequency (it switches between random frequencies quite fast). The BigBen clocks 2 Lynx Aurora's and some other equipment.
      I pressed U106 already, didn't make a difference this time, it solved an issues in the past.

I'm going to try disabling output 3/4 of processor A – I just remembered I did this before and it solved a similar issue (but I recently reset the unit, so this routing setting was lost). I'm also going to connect to H8000fw to my console tomorrow with the analogue connectors.

IDeangelis

Hi Siem

testing the unit via analog I/O will reveal if it's a digital clock issue, in case it works fine with analog.

I would also try using W.C. connectors to clock the Eventide from the Big Ben. You seem to use several different digital formats at the same time, a scenario that requires a solid unique clock source…nothing beats W.C. via separate and dedicated W.C. connector between Big Ben and each other unit.

all the best

I

Siem
      Participant

As far as I can tell there's none of this clicking when its connected by its analogue I/O.
      But its far from an ideal situation, the unit is now connected to unbalanced inserts on my desk, I just did some measurements and when loading '12 thru' it attenuates the signal more the lower it gets, so a it sounds like there's a lowshelf eq on the signal. I'm going to see if I can hook it up straight to my ADDA.

Siem
      Participant

when connected direct to my converters with a balanced cable everything is fine.

IDeangelis

Even when using unbalanced I/Os on external devices, the H8000FW should be  connected via XLRs because that's the format used for +4 dB line levels signals. Mixers usually run those type of signals. The signal should then be unbalanced on the 1/4" jack side of the cable. The manual shows how to wire Balnced to Unbalanced, using balanced cables.

best

I

IDeangelis

Siem

try the top notch solution! You have a Big Ben…clock the H8000Fw via W.C.

That's what pros do…and those lucky enough to own a W.C. generating device.

all the best

I

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.