Clock Source in an Mac aggregate device, Who is the master?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Clock Source in an Mac aggregate device, Who is the master?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      maxenbit
      Participant

Hi, I am using in a  MacBook pro as an aggregate audio device, a H9000 USB +Apollo x8p to use it in Logic and/or Ableton Live as input and output device. For real time recording (to listen to the processed voice during recording and editing the H9000 algorithms after recording as de DAW records the unprocessed)  I use in Logic the I/O Utility and in Ableton External Audio Effect. I use the inputs from the Apollo x8p and routed as an output to the H9000. The complete round trip latency for one single channel (w/o extra plugins is 100 samples at 48K (so the latency is (1000ms/48.000 hz)*100= 2.08 ms

I have noticed (my perception) that when I use the H9000 as the clock master the Logic output sound is better than using the Apollo x8p as clock master.  As it’s my perception and may be biased: 

– Which is the Eventide’s recommendation to set the proper device as a click master in a Mac audio aggregate device?  

– Any other recommendation for better performance using the H9000 in this DAWs as an external FX Device using USB?

I think that the H9000 should be the clock source because I am using the clock as it was designed for the H9000. But I have read articles about that some jitter may be caused because of slight differences in the speed of crystals used in the different clocks as i have read in this interesting SOS article: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/does-your-studio-need-digital-master-clock

Thanks!

Xavier

Ilustración. Ventana I/O.

External_Hardware_with_Live_2018-01-12_at_17.49.04.png

John Baylies
      Participant
      maxenbit wrote:
      – Any other recommendation for better performance using the H9000 in this DAWs as an external FX Device using USB?

If you want to use Ableton's MIDI to control the H9K there's a slight workaround you may need to use to avoid overloading the H9K's MIDI buffer if you're sending a lot of MIDI messages at once.

Instead of sending MIDI messages directly, you can use Max for Live to control the speed of MIDI messages by making a patch like this, and then controlling the [live.dial]

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.