Compressor Noise (pop/click) : Solutions?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Compressor Noise (pop/click) : Solutions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      zazula
      Participant

Hi –

Recently picked up an H8000FW and am noticing the popping/clicking noises in the compressor others have reported here:

http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/p/3281/13118.aspx#13118

I'm running software version 5.3.

Have any fixes been identified?

Thanks,
      Ralph

drooney

Hi Zazula,

It will be helpful to know the exact compressor presets you are experiencing a problem with. Also, how do you have your audio connected to and from the H8000FW and what are the internal signal routings you have configured for the Eventide? If you are using a digital method, what is your clocking source?

zazula
      Participant

Hi – here are the details:

Input source : Guitar (tube pre-amp, line level input)
      Input: Analog 1/2
      Clock: Internal / 44.1k
      Output: FireWire -> Mac -> LogicPro

I first heard the issue with a custom Vsig file but have been able to reproduce it on other presets. For example, 323 "Octal Compressor" shows the problem using the default parameter settings. Strangely, preset 324 "Quad Compressor" does not have the problem, although the compressor settings seem identical according to Vsig.

316 "Compressor_8" : problem
      323 "Octal Compressor" : problem
      324 "Quad Compressor" : NO problem
      custom program : add 1+2 -> compressor -> out 1/2 : problem

The internal signal path is : analog 1/2 -> dspA -> main 1/2 -> FireWire -> Logic

Let me know if any additional info would help diagnose.

Thanks,
      Ralph

drooney

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for following up with your information. I was able to speak with an engineer and he informed me that in some instances of using very fast transients/frequencies we have had reports on clicks, but we cannot entirely confirm the cause. However to combat this experience we created another module called Compressor 2 which reports no clicks at all; but we left both compressors because old presets may be useful for some users and clicks may not be reported on the original module.

Here are some presets to try that exclusively use Comp 2. 1125 1126, 1128, 1130, 1131, 1140, 1141. Let me know what you experience.

zazula
      Participant

Yes – compressor2 works much better.

Thanks for the help.

Ralph 

drooney

Thank you for following up Ralph. I am glad this was useful for you.

Happy New Year!

moremarch

I seem to experience the same problem on a 7600,when using the 6712 (dual vox processor) on some fast transients. Is this the same issue? Replaced it with 1123 (top 40 compressor) and the clicks and pops are gone–but I miss the de-esser from the original 6712. Thank you.

IDeangelis

If the preset uses compressor1  it may be possible the problem is the same.

On the second preset you may add the de_esser using Vsigfile editor for Windows, copying and pasting the de_esser modules from the first to the second algorithm.

regards

I

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.