Connecting Headphones to H8000FW?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Connecting Headphones to H8000FW?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi there fellow H8000FW users!  Smile

When I'm using headphones (more than I'd like, due to working at night with roommates), it's plugged into my iMac's 1/8" headphone output.  I have the H8000FW set up as an aggregate device and I'm able to hear the Eventide effects just fine this way when using Logic.

However, I'd like to add an additional pair of headphones so a vocalist can have his/her own personal monitor when recording, while I have my set of headphones to monitor as well.  2 of the 4 analog outputs of the H8000FW are dedicated to my monitors, leaving 2 available…

This leads me to a few questions regarding my noob setup:

– How would I connect a pair of headphones to the H8000FW?  The headphone tip is 1/4" and the H8000's outputs are female xlr.  Would that mean a female 1/4" to dual female xlr adapter?

– Is there an affordable mixer you'd recommend to go out of the H8000's 2 available outputs, to create more outputs for headphones (and speakers)?  Would the quality of the audio be compromised by this addition to the signal chain?

– When listening through headphones, is there a difference between using the computer's 1/8" input or coming from the H8000FW's outputs?

I'd love to learn from your expertise!  Big Smile

– Andy

AndyScoresFilm:

Hi there fellow H8000FW users!  Smile

Hiya Andy!

Quote:
      When I'm using headphones (more than I'd like, due to working at night with roommates), it's plugged into my iMac's 1/8" headphone output.

I understand, I do a lot of work at 2-3AM while the wife and kid are asleep…

Quote:
      However, I'd like to add an additional pair of headphones so a vocalist can have his/her own personal monitor when recording, while I have my set of headphones to monitor as well.

Do you want to have two separate mixes?  A lot of times, I'll work with musicians and while I listen to a complete mix, they only want a partial mix.  For example, I recently recorded a guitar player, and when he was overdubbing rhythm tracks, he only wanted to hear the guitar, drums and bass, but I monitored the entire thing…

Quote:
      – Is there an affordable mixer you'd recommend to go out of the H8000's 2 available outputs, to create more outputs for headphones (and speakers)?  Would the quality of the audio be compromised by this addition to the signal chain?

(WARNING – RELIGION!)  Some would say you're compromising the quality by using the iMac's headphone output.  There is a big difference in the output sections between your Mac and your Harmonizer!

Seriously though, are you just trying to lay down some tracks or are you doing your final mix and/or mastering for a high dollar project?  If you just need a simple monitor mix, there are lots of cheap mixers out there.  I use a little Behringer for that kind of stuff.  (Blasphemy, I know, connecting Behringer and Eventide devices.  Heehee…)  Also, how good is your vocal mic?  If you're running a cheap condenser, it's hard to justify an expensive monitor.  At the same time, if you have a $2000 tube mic with a $1000 preamp and a $1500 compressor, it's hard to rationalize using a cheapo monitoring system!

Regards,

Doug

Hey Doug, thanks for the quick reply! Big Smile

It's definitely not a high dollar project 🙂  But… I'm glad to know that my main concern, if need be to mix with headphones, ought to come out of the eventide, rather than the iMac.

I currently have a blue baby bottle mic running thru a presonus tubepre… not the highest end stuff… definitely aware that a vocalist may want a separate mix than me, but that's easy to monitor within Logic's mixer… however, I could just send that mix to the vocalist in his/her set of decent (but not high end) headphones and get away with using the iMac's output… The question is how to hook up at least my pair to the Eventide… I can see 2 possible scenarios… maybe you could enlighten me to the best choice:

1) I plug my headphones into the Eventide's outputs (which would require a female 1/4 inch -to- dual female XLR, right?), leaving the vocalists headphones plugged into the iMac

OR

2) I pick up a headphone monitoring system (like the presonus HP4, which is plugged into the Eventide with the same adapter) and monitor both headphones through that unit.

Thoughts??? Hmm

Just looking into a presonus HP4 (considering it's at an affordable price and convenient for me to quickly adjust the volume of the headphones & active monitors from a small box)….

Would plugging the Eventide into its L/R inputs (then out of the HP4 and into my monitors) compromise the integrity of the sound from the Eventide, once it gets to my monitors?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The H8000 will drive high impedance headphones directly from its output XLRs. It will be limited in its ability to drive power into 8 ohm phones, but might still be worth a try before you go out and buy an amp.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.