crackle and glitches on engine a

Home Forums Products Rackmount crackle and glitches on engine a

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      waldorcave

hello guys,

i own two h8000fw, and i have some glitches and crackles on engine a on both unit, if the feeding signal stops!

Engine b has no problems, on both units.

i tested nearly everything:

– software update, downdate

– i change routings

now my setup is:

– dual stereo analog

– internal clock 44.1

– software 5.3

can someone reproduce this problem?

routing: analog dual stereo

put the preset 4245 really large room on both machines a and b

feed both machines with some signal…and stopp it…

on both units : machine a produced after the signal stops some crackel and glitches

thx and greetings from cologne germany

LArsZip it!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This sounds like a hardware problem with the delay memory used for the reverbs. These problems are more common on DSP A than DSP B, and usually present themselves as low-level clicks on some reverb presets.

You should contact Sound Service (Dusseldorf), our German distributor, who is experienced at servicing these units. They can then contact us if they need further help.

waldorcave

OK. But if it is a hardware problem you have to check your latest machines.

Because my first h8000fw (fw-000564) got this problem and later a permanent adress bus errorSad

it was replaced with (fw-000597) got no adress bus error but this problemSad

but i love your fantastic fx, so i bought another oneBig Smile

but this unit (fw-000588) got a white screen error and this problem Sad it was replaced

with a new unit (fw-000587) got no white screen but also this problemSad

finally four of your unit got the same error?

i talked today to soundservice, but i can not imagine that all units has the same problem

IDeangelis

Hi Lars

I just tried to reproduce your reported problem…but everything sounds ok here, on both A and B.

I'm using internal routing #15 Analog Dual Stereo and get no cracks on the verb tail loaded in DSP A, either while playing audio or stopping it thru it.

I suggest you verify your signal chain, cabling,gain, anything that you use in your setup.

all the best

I

waldorcave

Ok…but i think if it is a hardware problem you have to check your latest production….

my first eventide (fw-000564) got this problem was exchange because of adress bus errors

the replaced unit (fw-000594) got this problem also….

but i love your fx , so i bought another oneBig Smile

this unit (fw-000588) got this problem was exchange because of white screen on startup error

the replaced unit ( fw-000587) got also this problem

i have talked to soundservice today, but i can not imagine that four unit has the same error?

waldorcave

yes, but what should i verify?

i feed it with a clean signal. i checked all cables. i go to analog. because i thought maybe some digital *** happens….

here are two files

[View:http://forum.eventide.com/cs/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.41.16/preset4245.mp3%5D

[View:http://forum.eventide.com/cs/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.41.16/preset4410.mp3%5D

ok, i think tomorrow i phone to soundservice and send on h8000fw to them

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sounds like you do have too many problems. Please contact support@eventide.com

We are also contacting Sound Service to try and resolve your problems. We can give advice, but if anything needs doing, they will want to do it.

One test I would like you to try – disconnect all cables from the H8000 apart from power and one output, and let me know if you still hear the clicks.

waldorcave

Hi nickrose,

maybe we are getting closer…i did some test with fw-000594..

here is a file from engine a with nothing connected to input

[View:http://forum.eventide.com/cs/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.41.16/nothing.mp3%5D

here is a file from engine a with xlr output from engine b connected to input

[View:http://forum.eventide.com/cs/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.41.16/preset4709xlrFromOutputengi.mp3%5D

here is a file from engine a with unsym mono patch output from motu connected to input

[View:http://forum.eventide.com/cs/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.41.16/unsymmonojacketfrom-motu24i.mp3%5D

You here significant differences, maybe it helps someone to find the errors.

thx

lars

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I hear a lot more clicks in the last file. This suggests that the problem may be outside the unit, which could explain why you have had it on so many different systems.

What are your AC power connections ? Are all your audio units grounded to the same place ?

When connected to the Motu, were you using 1/4" or XLR ?

waldorcave

But i think it is not normal! If nothing is connected, or the source is from the eventide output xlr

i wish to here no clicks.. These machines are not cheap! And some times with nothing connect

there are very loud clicks. i also , have many clicks if i go digital…

Connected to Motu via 1/4" mono

AC power 230v, everything has the same ground..

waldorcave

when the problem is outside box, why it is only on engine a?

i changed all cabels and configurations…

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It's hard to have complete answers without being in front of the unit.

If it is only on engine A, it would indeed suggest that the problem is in the unit, although there is a (small) chance it is down to the way it is being used.

But, your recordings suggested that it was very much worse when being fed by the Motu. Yet again, this could be due to different noise levels triggering different glitches.

Basically the units need to be looked at – I've done all I can from a distance. I am in touch with Sound Service and am waiting to hear what they know.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem you have described with preset #4245. I loaded it into both DSPs and fed a signal from a Voyager. After the audio dies, I don't hear any crackles or glitches whatsoever. It's very quiet.

Regards,

Yannis

waldorcave

Hi Nick Rose,

i got your replacement h8000fw  sn:fw-00643. it works well. no problems at all.

thank youBig Smile

but what is with my other unitCrying

soundservice told me that it would take time to repair the unit. it is now sure that they have a hardware problem.

Our problem is, that we need a working unit, cause we had to do a lot of productions for the german broadcast.

So, is it possible to get another replacement?

we need it really!!!

All the best

lars

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi Lars

I'm checking out another one for you and will send it soon.

Please contact support@eventide.com if you have any other queries.

waldorcave

Hi Nick,

perfectBig Smile

Matthias Adloff
      Participant

Hi guys,

I´m quite "happy" to see this thread, as I experience exactly the same problem that Lars had. Since one always believes it´s ones own fault, I double-triple checked all connections, settings and power supplies. In the end I just replaced the H8000FW with an Orville, which works perfectly. Since all settings and connections are just the same as with the H8000FW, there might be a problem with this unit…

I bought unit my H8000FW (serial FW-00605) two weeks ago, used but in a very good condition and with just 430 hrs power-on. Unfortunately I get occasional clicks from the DSP-A outputs when there should be silence. It´s pretty unpredictable when this happens, but it´s for sure that the clicks from DSP-A get more when there is heavy duty on DSP-B (i.e. there is a complex program loaded).

I could send the unit back to the dealer, but since this problem seems to be known, I hope there is some faster solution to fix this. No need to say that I don´t want to have it the "Little Ferry shipment" way of things, if possible… (I had this with an Orville back in 2002, but it was a mess…)

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There is a specific hardware problem that can cause clicks with certain reverb presets on DSP A ONLY. It is more likely to apply to H8000's than Orvilles.

If you think you have this, you should contact your dealer (if they are good at repairs) or Eventide (support@eventide.com). There is no easy answer – fixing it requires changing surface-mount chips.

Matthias Adloff
      Participant

10 years ago I sent my unit (FW-00605) directly to Eventide, but they couldn’t find any error. So I gave up and used the H8000 for what it was, a 7600 with sometimes working second DSP, but mostly crackling all over the place on DSP A if any pitcher or reverb was used on any of the DSPs. Muting one of the DSPs (preset #11) worked fine.

Now, the unit will go on sale, so it would be great to know if this problem is better known? Can it be fixed now? Who could examine this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best, Matthias.  

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Your problem is probably either bad dram on dspA or a weak dspA processor. Because dspA also has the sampler ram, this places extra load on the memory bus, so it is more inclined to show problems.

But, all these parts are pretty much obsolete, and have not been available from reliable sources for many years, so there is little that can be done. If you had someone remove the 3 sampler dram chips, that might well fix it, but you would lose the sampler. And, alas, no guarantee.

Matthias Adloff
      Participant

Hi Nick,

thank you for the quick response. Using the sampler on DSP B is a safe thing. No crackles. It seems that you need to have at least two diffusor modules running before the issue appears. Therefore I guess it’s the weak DSP A that you mentioned. 

In the end this is very sad news to me. The unit has been for repair/revision at Eventide in 2010, and was sent back with the comment that no error could be found. So I blamed the crackling on a bad A/C power line or some errors in the ADAT lightpipes or with the clock. And I simply “forgot” this error since in my daily studio work I always had 3B X-OVER HALL loaded in DSP B. With this preset, the crackling will not appear no matter what I load into the other DSP. 

Last week I tested the unit after all those years in order to make it ready for being shipped. I already had a buyer for a good, but reasonable price. Now, I have to give a great discount. I will not make those prices public here, but if you’re interested, just drop me a note. After all, I’m loosing about almost a grand for that weak DSPA. Which could have been replaced without problems at Eventide in 2010 and was a KNOWN problem, right?

My plan was to buy a brand new H9000R as a replacement for both my (sold) Orville and my H8000FW right now, but this will not work anymore. This is the saddest of it all: Always loved Eventide for their FX quality, which is unparalled.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.