distortion when routing dspB 1/2 -> dspA 7/8

Home Forums Products Rackmount distortion when routing dspB 1/2 -> dspA 7/8

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      jwhiting
      Participant

I've come across a strange problem with my H8000FW. In a very basic test routing setup, I'm getting a kind of digital distortion much like a bitcrusher sample-rate reduction effect. Here is the test case: set both DSP A and B to the "thru" preset (#12) and then set the routing as per the first screenshot i've attached here:

bad routing

Playing a signal from the FW 1/2 in from my PC ends up with an ugly output!

Now, when I route things differently, it goes away. This second image is virtually the exact same setup, but does not produce the distortion:

good routing

All I've done is move the DSP B OUT 1/2 to the A IN 3/4 instead of A IN 7/8. This is consistently reproducible, although yes, it's odd to route low-numbered outputs from DSP B to high-numbered inputs on DSP A (I was doing this because I was building a patch where I wanted to use DSP B as an "insert" on the DSP A signal flow).

p.s. if you can't see the whole image here you may need to right click and choose one of the menu options to show the image alone in a new page.

Thanks!

Josh Whiting

IDeangelis

Hi Josh

thanks for reporting this.

A few more info:

-which OS version is the unit running on?

-Windows/SP versions you run on your pc

-FireWire driver version installed

best

I

IDeangelis

Another useful detail to know is which FireWire chip your computer/pci card is based on (VIA, TI, NEC, etc…)

best

I

jwhiting
      Participant

Interesting. I didn't initally report my PC stats because I assumed this was internal to the H8K, so if you think upgrading something in my PC rig would help, let me know. Here are my current versions:

– win XP pro SP2

– h8000fw driver 1.1.1.0 dated 11/10/06 (according to driver properties in device manager)

– i'm using a fairly cheap firewire PCI card in my desktop PC, with a VIA chipset. the cheap card is simply because i'm not aware of any particular reason to use anything else…

– h8000fw system ROM version 5.2 (oh and now i see there's a newer version 5.3 on the website! i didn't even think of that. would that impact this behavior? i don't have a card reader but could pick one up and flash the ROM if you think that would help)

HTH, thanks!

-josh

IDeangelis

Josh

both OS and drivers are old. You should update your H8000 to latest OS and install the latest FW drivers, both available on the Eventide website. The new software may well improve any aspect.

*Make sure* you donload and read the new User Manual first! It has very useful notes on:

-drivers installation

-FireWire supported/unsupported chipsets

then, please, try your routing again…and let us know!

thanks

I

jwhiting
      Participant

Ah ok, good to know. I'll let you know how it goes in a few days then. Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.