DSP-4000 Checksum Errors, please help.

Home Forums Products Rackmount DSP-4000 Checksum Errors, please help.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Tommaso
      Participant

Hello,

i have a problem with my used DSP-4000 (Serial- "DSP # 42019"). It always shows Checksum Errors at the start, but it works normally after pressing OK. I also get checksum errors when trying to work with an official library card (Alchemy 101)

I read on your website that this could be due to a low battery and i´d need a special chip to repair it. Can i order it from you directly?

Thanks and best, Tommaso

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Check sum errors may come from the battery-backed ram. If your software allows it, try setup/service/fix, which will cure a bad checksum. If it reappears after powerup it is almost certainly the battery.

If you need a battery, see http://eventidestore.com/insrme1.html – note that they are not cheap. They usually last about 10 years, so given the age of any DSP4000, it might well be the cause.

Tommaso
      Participant

Thanks a lot, this was the link i needed! Did not find it myself yet 🙂

Tommaso
      Participant

Now, i have ordered the repair part and changed it, with no success. The Error remains.

After Powering On and testeing Rom 0 it says "Problem in System Rom – Bad Checksum". Another thing is, after inserting a library card (in this case alchemy 101) the display reads "your memory card has faulty data. (Bad Checksum). In both cases, after pressing "ok", the unit works and the card reads flawlessly. The System Rom version is 2.158 and Preset roms are V 2.000.

Any ideas?

thanks and cheers, tommaso

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Had you given me the full error text I would probably not have suggested changing the ram chip, although it is probably close to the end of its life.

So, you either have a faulty rom and a misbehaving card, or some bigger problem. You can find out which it is by changing the card's battery and then formatting the card – look and see if the card checksum message is still present at powerup.

If it is, you have either a faulty card or a major hardware problem. If not, you have a faulty system rom – you could try and order one, but they are probably unavailable.

Either way, I'd suggest living with the message – seems like a small annoyance, and fixing it may be more difficult or expensive than it is worth. Remember, this unit is well over 10 years old by now.

Tommaso
      Participant

Yes, it´s my fault. Should have given the full text earlier, but anyway: The card can´t be formatted because it is a preset card from eventide and has no writable format. Too bad there´s no system rom available, i would try it this way. You are right, for me it is a small annoyance but as i am thinking of selling it, it would be cool if it worked as it should. thanks anyway …

Tommaso
      Participant

you are right, i should have written the full message before …

anyway, so i have to live with it. the card is a prest card and can´t be formatted. i wonder if there´s a battery in the card and if it´s changable. it is an intel card.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Tommaso:

i wonder if there´s a battery in the card and if it´s changable

If it's a preset card it will not have a battery. It is possible but unlikely that you have a faulty card and a faulty system rom.

If you want, you could send the card to Eventide, marked for my attention (don't forget return address) and I could look at it, but since we can't make them any more I would not be able to replace it, so this might not achieve much. Or, if you know anyone with a 4000, try it in theirs and see if it has the same problem.

Tommaso
      Participant

Thanks a lot, but i guess i will live with it. I would make a try and change the system rom, but as you don´t have them anymore this doesn´t make much of a sense. thanks anway.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.