dsp 4000 software upgrade

Home Forums Products Rackmount dsp 4000 software upgrade

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      gtrmichael
      Participant

I have a dsp4000 v 1.0 that I want to upgrade to 2.0. Does anyone know how to do this?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Eventide no longer offers upgrades for the DSP4000 series. Maybe one of our users has a set of roms they don't need.

gtrmichael
      Participant

I am asking if there are any users that can tell me:

1) what upgrade's would consist of

2) if anyone has them or knows how to find them

Z3R0
      Man ….. I ABSOLUTELY REGRET the day I bought this 4000 piece of junk !!!

No support , the manual , at best ; is vague _ and just because the thing is 20

years old now , dosnt mean user’s of this product should be ‘punished’ for keeping

it so long !!

Ive had a 4000 for about 8 years now , and it’s really been a nightmare for ANY kind

of support , softwares , ect. _ And I think EVERYONE should take a long hard look

before buying ANY Eventide product.  Because once it become’s a little ‘antiquated’ ,

YOUR SCREWED !!!!

I almost fell into the trap of buying ‘other’ software & hardware items from Eventide

a few times , but then I came to my senses and realized ….. I’ll just get caught up in

the same trap as that equipment gets any age to it at all !!

Just look thru the forums , and you’ll see Im correct !!

Ive just went ahead not a few days ago and purchased my first   TC-Helicon LIVE Rack.

WOW , WOW , WOW ! ! ! !

And the support , the manuals , the forum are just Gold !! You can even call them “And they will

even pickup the phone and speak with you in depth about any issue’s you may be having !!

And …. ‘NO’ , Im not some panted sales person from TC’s company. Im just a multi-trk recording

engineer / (for the last 37 years now); Whom has become very FRUSTRATED with this Eventide company !!

Anyway , Im sure my account to log in , will surely be deleted. But no matter ; it’ll still be the same way it

is now …..  USELESS !!

Z3RO /  0on3.wordpress.com

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I am very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the support that you are receiving from our company. Please be so kind as to give us full information including the dates and information when you contacted us, and explain in what way we failed to suitably respond. Given this, we can try and see what happened, and give you the support that you deserve.

I am obliged to say that supporting 20 year old equipment is difficult – most of the designers are no longer with us, and are indeed playing with sound elsewhere. Very few of our present staff know anything about these units. In addition, acquiring replacements for obsolete parts is difficult, many of the only being available through dubious sources on the "gray market."

Update are also difficult – these are only available on unobtainable eproms, using obsolete programmers to produce them. Given the tiny demand, it is not feasible for us to set in place the infrastructure needed to produce them. Also, the price we would have to charge for this service would render it unattractive. Products from Orville and after use use downloadable software, and do not have these issues.

As a comparison, imagine what free support you would receive from an auto manufacturer for a 20 year old model that you bought used 8 years ago. Obviously none, and little even if you were prepared to pay for it. I hope that TC-Helicon gives you better service than us when their unit is 20 years old, but am not hopeful.

So, on balance, I think we do fairly well. If you have any specific support issues where we have failed you, please send an email to support@eventide.com, marked  for my attention. Any complaints you have about the unit itself or its manuals should be referred to your vendor.

skywriter
      Participant

Not that I have any reputation on this board, but I’ve been a hardware/software designer for the 35 years, and what Nick states is quite the normal of state of affairs even in fortune 500 companies even selling million+ dollar products. Sadly, design archival of mixed systems (hardware, firmware, software) has been a complicated, unstatndardized, and mostly unsuccessful process for much of the electronics industry, which has relied heavily on thier long time engineers memory to sort it all out in the end. Once you lose those engineers, anyone is hard pressed to make heads or tails out of anything but the most recent shipping product. After 10 years, you’re lucky if you can find 1/2 of the design files.

With this in mind, it’s unfair to single out Eventide alone in this. If anything they should get kudos for producing products like the H3000 D/SE, which still has an incredible reputation in the vintage equipment area. I still have one, and it’s brilliant! As is my GTR4000, and H8000FW, and H9’s of course 🙂

Quote:
      I am obliged to say that supporting 20 year old equipment is difficult – most of the designers are no longer with us, and are indeed playing with sound elsewhere. Very few of our present staff know anything about these units. In addition, acquiring replacements for obsolete parts is difficult, many of the only being available through dubious sources on the “gray market.”
      iamlittlecloud
      Participant

Ive had a DSP4000 since about 2001, and I had never really worked out how to do particular things with it, being mainly a guitar player. I saw a post by Italo DeAngelos a few days ago and curried up the circular ones to write him..he actually rtesponded and has helped me do stuff Id given up on a few years ago. I am about to purchase some virtualising software he suggested I get and so I can use VSIG, which has always been a pain as im a Mac user..But from about Friday this week I will finally be able to dig into this old and beautiful dinasour haha.

I brought a Fractal AXE recently, an FX-2XL and I love its power to reproduce amps and cab/amps etc, but I still havnt found anything that has the rich and deep wavy beautiful reverbs and spatialising effects that my 4000 does. Ive owned a H3000 and an Orville, and my dream is to one day own an Orville again.

Yes there are some support issues but you cannot expect companies to have crystal balls and see the age of digital and facebook and USB and all the other stuff that has happened since it was built as an unparaleled machine for the racks of the worlds great studios to produce hits with.

Was there once an era when programmers were the lifeblood of companies and the companies thought they would be around forever…?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.