DSP7000 in a stereo guitar amp setup

Home Forums Products Rackmount DSP7000 in a stereo guitar amp setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      homer
      Participant

Hi all,

some questions about the proper setup of a stereo amp with a 7000.

I have Diezel VH4s which is a stereo amp. It features a parallel and serial FX loop.

Everybody will tell you that the parallel fx loop will be preserving the original tone much better and as such would be preferable in a live situation. Trying that with digital FX unit you will encounter the comb filtering even at 100% wet due to the conversion and depending on the speed of the conversion that can be subtle or very audible. In may case it is definitely audible and to be avoided.

This in turn means I need to use the serial FX loop on the amp and set the amount of FXvia the assigned parameter WET/DRY in the Levels menu.

Now here is the rub:

Amp signal is connected to Input 1 (analog). Using Vsig I now modify any of the standard algorithms such that Input 2 signal is disconnected and replaced by the In1 signal, simply by connecting In1 to the first module that would usually get the Input 2 signal.

As a result Output 1 of the 7000 is carrying a dry signal with a mix level as specified in the Wet/Dry globals while Output 2 will always be a 100% wet that way.

So it means I need to make sure that the 7000 gets a dual mono signal in order to enjoy the dry signal in both outputs.

Is there anyway to change this or is this signal flow hardwired? I suppose the latter but I want to have confirmation or an idea to avoid this in any other case.

Thx

homer
      Participant

Hi all

to make my case more clear I modify my question:

My observation is:

1) An input signal coming from an analog input in a DSP7000 is converted and then split up in two separate signals within the machine. One is driving the FX engine, the other one gets fed to the output directly in order to allow the DRY/WET setting to control the amount of dry signal.

2) The input nodes in VSIG represent the path of signal driving the FX unit, which means I can redirect only the wet portion of the signal to an output.

Conclusion: The path of the dry signal is hardwired, such that if I feed a signal to Input 1 this is directly fed to the Output 1 and there is no way to have the dry IN1 signal path redirected to OUT2.

Correct?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sounds like you have it. An H8000 has many routing options, but the 7000 is essentially hard-wired.

homer
      Participant

Thanks for the confirmation.

Now as you mention the H8000FW: Is it possible to have the WET/DRY path rerouted  in that unit? Are you sure?

BTW here is a workaround, not elegant but working….

Add a stereo mixer module in VSIG to the algorithm and mix IN1 directly with the output of the FX block which would usually feed OUT2. Now feed that finally into OUT2. The Wet/Dry level for OUT2 is now controlled by the mixer module.

Only thing that you need to take care of is to make sure that the mix level is in line with the global WET/DRY parameter in the levels menue.

BTW is there any way to access that global WET/DRY parameter in VSIG to have these parameters linked?

THX

Reviving quite an old thread here but, I’m about to undertake the same rig/setup and have a question. You mention here that the 7000 is basically hard-wired, I understand the the H8000 can be routed in any manner, however just inquiring if the Orville and the Eclipse are the same as the H8000 in this aspect or are they ‘hard-wired’ like the 7000? I used to own a own an Orville (biggest regret for selling may I add) and I don’t recall which it was.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The Orville is a subset of the H8000, whereas the Eclipse is pretty much fixed – it is limited to a small number of series/parallel combinations (see UM for info).

Thanks for the clarification – are the A/D – D/A convertors the same in the Orville and H8000 in that case? (I assume the Eclipse’s would be different)

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I don't remember exactly, but I suspect late Orvilles are the same as H8000. Those in the Eclipse are not bad, but have a lower spec.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.