DSP7000 vs. Eclipse

Home Forums Products Rackmount DSP7000 vs. Eclipse

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      wilkinsi
      Participant

I have the option to expand my setup by adding a DSP7000 or another Eclipse. What does the DSP have that the Eclipse doesn't? I'm not bothered about Visig, I just want more FX algorithms.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

An important difference is Vsig capability, about which you don't care. That aside, the Eclipse actually has better hardware interfaces, but the 7000 has richer algorithms – every preset is an algorithm (some are the same with different parameters). Also, because the 7000 does not allow multiple algs, each one tends to be stronger.

To conclude, in the 7000 (as with all the 2U range), the power is in the algorithms (this is why Vsig is important). With the Eclipse (and to some extent the stomps), the algs are fixed, and the power is in the framework.

wilkinsi
      Participant

Point taken. This laptop I'm using has a serial port on it. My concern is whether the laptop will even see the DSP via serial because of the age gap. If I were to use USB, surely I'd need a driver so the laptop will see the DSP in the first place? Additionally, can the EVE NET allow me to edit on a similar level to visig?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The 7000 only has a serial interface, so your laptop should be OK, as long as it works. Some older laptops have rather weedy serial ports. That aside, age should not be an issue here.

The Eve/Net is essentially a remote controller with a few extra features. In simple terms, think of it as a remote front panel – it doesn't have additional editing capability.

wilkinsi
      Participant

I've noticed the 2U harmonizers have SOFT keys, yet the Eclipse has HOT keys. The latter can be edited and modulated. Can the soft keys do the same?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

As the name, uh, suggests, they are different. The soft keys are the keys under the screen, on both 2U and 1U. They are caalled "soft" because they have different functions at different times.

The "hot" keys are unique to Eclipse, and are essentially handles to some of the otherwise hidden parameters, which can, as you say, be edited and modulated.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.