Eclipse 3.00 update issue

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eclipse 3.00 update issue

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      gerax
      Participant

Hi,

trying to update the OS on my v 3.00 Eclipse via CF card to get to v4.00

I have a 1 Gb Sandisk card which I formatted FAT on a MacBook Pro, and downloaded the update file to 3.51 first, unzipped and copied it as described in the support page, but the process gets stuck right at startup reading “Loading Romprog.EXE from card”.

Should I try something else before upldating the bootloader (which BTW reads 1.21)?

Thanx

L.

gerax
      Participant

Anybody?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

We recommend that you pick an unused card of a good brand and DO NOT FORMAT IT. For earlier versions, it MUST be below 2MB; 64-512MB is best.

See earlier posts for more information.

See other information on the Web Site concerning the bootloader. DO NOT update it unless these instructions say you should.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Oops, yes I meant 2G.

Key phrases from my reply are "below 2G" and "do not format."

Further, DO NOT update the bootloader unless you have a very good reason. If anything goes wrong, your unit will be "bricked."

Read the section under "Eclipse Upgrade Problem Resolution" on How to Update Eventide Rackmount Audio Units | Eventide (eventideaudio.com)

gerax
      Participant

Would you suggest trying the serial connection from a PC route instead? 

gerax
      Participant

The PC laptop I have doesn’t have a serial port so I’ll have to use an USB to serial adapter. Any reported issues with one of those?

Thanx

L.

gerax
      Participant
      nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Looks believable, and Sabrent is a real brand, But note that we can't guarantee it.

pdxken
      Participant

I had the exact same problem. What fixed it was:

1. Format the CF card using the eclipse, not the mac.

2. Make sure the CF card is the right capacity, these days the cards are all too big so I had to find a 256MB card and that worked like a charm.

Fender17
      Participant

I had the same “Loading Romprog.EXE from card”, that hanged on forever, or changed to random bitmap….

And I used very old and used 1 GB Sandisk reformated in Eclipse….. No success.

After formating to FAT on PC things have changed. There was not “Loading Romprog.EXE from card” (or maybe just for very short time) and the display was lively and fast updating and shoving what is downloading and task progression in percent.

I updated from 2.50 to 3.51 and after that to 4.01. I had bootloader 1.11 that has been updated to 1.25 (do not know when, I checked version after 4.01 has been installed).

gerax
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

We recommend that you pick an unused card of a good brand and DO NOT FORMAT IT. For earlier versions, it MUST be below 2MB; 64-512MB is best.

See earlier posts for more information.

See other information on the Web Site concerning the bootloader. DO NOT update it unless these instructions say you should.

I guess you meant below 2Gb, right? In fact the one I’m using is an 1Gb Sandisk (which is the recommended brand on your site).

So you think the card size is the issue? I can possibily get a new 128 or 512 Mb and try again…

Also, about the bootloader, I downloaded the latest version from the Download section, and the filename reads “eclipseboot121mac” which I guess is the same version as the one I have on my Eclipse (v 1.21), is that correct? In that case my bootloader is the latest and cannot be updated, is this right?

Thanx

L.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      gerax wrote:

Would you suggest trying the serial connection from a PC route instead? 

Certainly worth trying, although it can be a bit of a fiddle. Note that cheap laptops may have weedy serial ports, so stop if it seems unreliable.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      gerax wrote:

The PC laptop I have doesn't have a serial port so I'll have to use an USB to serial adapter. Any reported issues with one of those?

Some are good, some are bad. Avoid "no-name" units.

I have had success with those using the "Prolific" or FTDI chips.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.