Eclipse

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eclipse

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      highvoltagemusic
      Participant

Hi

My first post. I just bought an Eclipse and I would like to use it with my Boss Katana MK II artist. What’s the best way to use it with the katana. The Boss also has an input for the power amp which disables the preamp.

Also I’m getting a Lexicon MPX1 and would like to use these two together so if you anyone can recommend some gear to interconnect the two, I would appreciate it.

noodle1
      Participant

You’re trying to pair a Ferrari with a…. consumer-level toy for one. The Eclipse spits out +26dbu and will crush the inputs on that amp. Use PRO amps with PRO gear with proper headroom. All that amp’s inputs are -10dbV, pedal-level and not the right choice for the eclipse without major compromises.

noodle1
      Participant

I would go for pro level stuff. The problem is if you use consumer gear your input to the eclipse will be too low for a proper SNR and the output back into the amp will not have enough headroom to handle the spurts and peaks of the eclipse, which runs at +4dbu NOMINAL with +26dbu PEAKS (= pro line level, not consumer -10dbV or prosumer +4dbu [which is really more like “high” instrument level, not true line level)
      Modeling will give you digital I/O and stereo capability (the eclipse really needs stereo to function properly)
      Axe-FX 3 or a Kemper would be good
      Analog: Will require two amps or one amp with a pro mixer like the SAMSON SM-10 to pan effects to one side.
      Many around here including those who work for eventide have had success using Boogie amp FX loops such as the Mark Series, DC5, or a stereo power amp like a 50/50 or 2:90.
      P.S. If you are going analog, make sure to use the XLR inputs and outputs on the eclipse, even if they are being converted to 1/4 TS unbalanced, avoid using the 1/4 jacks on the eclipse especially the inputs.

highvoltagemusic
      Participant

I do plan on getting the samson mixer. I did run the eclipse into the effects loop it sounded ok but I was planning on getting two amps for stereo. I would only need balanced 1/4″ trs on the output of the eclipse.

highvoltagemusic
      Participant

If I wanted an Axe or kemper I wouldn’t have gotten the eclipse.

noodle1
      Participant

It depends how you want to use the device and what sounds you’re after as well!
      For example, you could run it as a digital loop on your thunderbolt or USB interface (RME UCX, MOTU 1248, etc) and process everything “post” with very little latency; this will be cleaner for reverbs and delays since it will be absolutely last in the chain.
      Lately I use mine in a rack system that is split off from the Boogie FX loop send and run thru splitters, mixers, etc back to the power amp sections
      You could use a preamp and send it real hot to the eclipse then return it in stereo to a power amp setup is kinda the basic idea but you need stuff you can send/return very HOT, the FX will not sound right or be optimal performance-wise if you hit it too lightly

highvoltagemusic
      Participant

Using it in a rack system is how I would like to do it. I need more gear I was just using the katana effects loop until I can get a rack pre amp. The good thing about the katana it has an input for just the power and disables its preamp.

noodle1
      Participant

If you can find the input specs of the power section you are using it could be adequate, you need +20-30dbu headroom to run rack system with no compromises. If it meets these specs you could use two and have a cheap stereo config.  Of course you can always, for now, run the loop with the preamp send high and lower the output on the eclipse outputs, so the eclipse can do its thing better…

You’re going to want a SPLITTER with +20-30dbu rated inputs and outputs with balanced connections (check the specs on the products you buy, this is important)

1U rackspace examples
      digital interface splitters (1U rackspace): MOTU 24Ao, high end RME UFX II, etc
      these are cool and getting better and better w less latency
      analog splitters: e.g. RANE SM26 or 82 (newer ones have switching power supplies)
      these are tried and true method zero latency, but more circuitry

highvoltagemusic
      Participant

I really appreciate the help, this can be really confusing.

noodle1
      Participant

Things that helped me because setting up a rack is a STEEP learning curve and can take you weeks or even months to fully set up!

decibels, levels, metering, clipping, 0 VU/ VU metering, signal to noise ratio (SNR)
      ground loops
      balanced connections vs unbalanced, and the effects, advantages of using them
      patch bays, splitting, mixing, monitoring
      being able to solder your own cables can be extremely helpful bc there will be lots of different size (custom) cable runs

be sure to read this before hooking up your eclipse

Connection and level guidelines for XLR and ¼” Jacks

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.