Eclipse checksum errors

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eclipse checksum errors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      glamastro
      Participant

I seem to be having problem with my Eclipse, getting checksum errors upon every boot.  This is what may be why, I updated the system softwarefrom 3.1 to 3.51 then to 4.01.  The problem may be that I did not recycle the power after the 3.51 update.  I ran the 4.01 update without cycling the power back on after the 3.51 update.  

It seems to operating fine but the manual says that frequent checksum errors are not good and I should contact Eventide.

Can you help me with what to do?

IDeangelis

Hi Glamastro

after every OS update it is mandatory to execute a CLEAR SETUP, which is always requested by the unit on the display right after installation. This is important as it resets a number of system parameters and caches for the best use.

Try a CLEAR SETUP powering the unit on while pressing & holding the SETUP key.

If the problem continues, then it may be time to change the internal battery.

lets us know!

best

I

lionelred
      Participant

Me too

everytime I boot up

IDeangelis

Please check the relative technote on Eclipse area, on the Eventide website.

best

I

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Eclipse versions prior to 3.5 did not announce checksum errors at every powerup, so they can appear new, when they may have been there for a long time.

Use SETUP/utility/fix to clear the error. If it comes back at the next powerup (or soon after) it probably means that the battery needs changing.

If the battery needs changing more than once every few years, there is a hardware problem.

lionelred
      Participant

Just tried this no Joy and have changed the battery recently too?

glamastro
      Participant

OK I did the "Fix" and the start up and holding down the "Setup" button to reset the setup as per previous instructions from tech support.  I am no longer getting the checksum errors on start up. Seems to have worked.

According to tech support…   REMEMBER BACK UP YOUR PROGRAMS FIRST!!!

Eclipse versions prior to 3.5 did not announce checksum errors at every powerup, so they can appear new, when they may have been there for a long time.

Use SETUP/utility/fix to clear the error. If it comes back at the next powerup (or soon after) it probably means that the battery needs changing.

After every OS update it is mandatory to execute a CLEAR SETUP, which is always requested by the unit on the display right after installation. This is important as it resets a number of system parameters and caches for the best use.

Try a CLEAR SETUP powering the unit on while pressing & holding the SETUP key. 

glamastro
      Participant

I guess it's a case of not so fast.    I am getting the checksum errors again on every reboot.  This is not good as I have never had this problem before.  I hope it can be resolved.  Please let me know how I can change the battery if that is my next option.  

IDeangelis

Ok….

Caution:

-BACK UP your presets

-Disconnect power cable and let the unit rest for 10 minutes

the battery you want to look for is a BR2330. You'll find a lot of CR2330. It's a lithium round button shaped flat battery.
      Apparently you can use both, but the first is the recommended one.

To quote Panasonic-san: coin type lithium batteries are available in two types: poly-carbonmonofluoride lithium batteries (BR series) for uses that require extended reliability?and safety, and manganese dioxide lithium batteries (CR series) for uses that require high voltage and strong load pulse characteristics.
      So essentially either can be used. CR types probably have slightly higher capacity and better current supply characteristics, so may last longer. But not by much.

-open the top cover (screwdriver action needed!)

-locate the round battery

-remove and replace it

-pay attention to which side goes down and which goes up

-probably necessary to execute a CLEAR SETUP at next power on.

Enjoy.

I

glennfin

I made a new post before reading this thread…. sorry about that…

I was having the same problem after updating to 4.01 I did the "Fix"  and it corrected the problem but I'm probably going to go ahead and change the battery anyway, My Eclipse is at least 5 years old.

Glenn Fin

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

glennfin:

after updating to 4.01 I did the "Fix"  and it corrected the problem

Don't change the battery unless the problem comes back again ..

ZebKwijibo
      Participant

Hello, I have the same checksum error problem, I’ve tried everything, I’ve changed the battery; the checksum error is and still still happening at each boot.

I need a solution to resolve the problem myself, the after sale service in France seems to haven’t work yet on an eclipse and I’m not 100% confident to send it to them.

I’d like to resale my eclipse to buy 2 H9 for my pedalboard but I want to sale my eclipse as a good working unit.

A bit desperate…

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        ZebKwijibo wrote:

A bit desperate…

You don't say, but I assume you are using the FIX command when this happens.

You could try another battery, but if this does not work, it points to a hardware problem. Sorry.

ZebKwijibo
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:
        ZebKwijibo wrote:

A bit desperate…

You don't say, but I assume you are using the FIX command when this happens.

You could try another battery, but if this does not work, it points to a hardware problem. Sorry.

First, thanks for your reply!

I’ve already tried some other batteries and even checked them with a multimeter and yes I went through the ” fix” procedure and everything fails… Except the checksum error message my eclipse is working well with no strange behaviors

Do you know what kind of hardware problem it could be?

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        ZebKwijibo wrote:
        Do you know what kind of hardware problem it could be?

I would guess that either the battery backed up ram is not being shut down properly, or it is taking too much current and running down the battery.

You can check the second by measuring the battery voltage in circuit and then again a few days later. There should be no meaningful change.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.