Eclipse in effects loop?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eclipse in effects loop?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dsmbennett

Hi

I have placed my Eclipse into the effect loop of a Marshall JMP-1 as a recent change to my set up. I was hoping to use the effect loop at 50% wet (preserving some of the original dry signal) which would make it a parallel loop instead of a series loop. 

However, at 50% it makes a horrible flange type sound even when the Eclipse is on bypass???

Am I right in thinking this is a phase issue with the analogue and digital signals, and also right that this can not be avoided unless the effect loop is 100% wet???

Cheers,

Dave

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You are essentially correct. Pretty much any digital equipment (not just us) will have a through delay of up to a few milliseconds – this will cause the flanging you mention when directly mixed with the original analog signal.

You could switch the Eclipse to relay bypass to avoid the issue when bypassed. Set the Eclipse output to 100% wet – it is the delayed dry signal that causes the effect you mention.

dsmbennett

Thanks Nick :o)

The Eclipse is 100% wet it is the loop that only passes 50% signal through the eclipse and 50% straight out to power amp. Thought it was the delay in the Eclipse causing this, and guess this may also be why it works fine on an old H3000 (older ADA converters).

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Actually, on reflection, the Eclipse wet/dry setting does not matter. As you point out, it is the delay through the Eclipse that causes the problem when you use the analog wet/dry mix you describe.

Probably also correct in saying that older (Successive Approximation) type converters may have less delay than the more modern (Delta-Sigma) types. They may lack something in performance, though ..

dsmbennett

Seems this is the case… no worries I am just going to run the loop 100% wet and adjust the effects in the Eclipse to 50%…. near as hell the same :o)

Thanks again for the outstanding support, and amazing Eclipse unit :o)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.