Eclipse into X32 Mixer

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eclipse into X32 Mixer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      mwd

Hello. We bought an Eclipse to take over FX duties for our X32 mixer. I ran the Eclipse with TS cables to and from Aux 1/2 on the mixer and got effects. The Eclipse meter barely moves and the effect did not seem prominent. I bought XLR to TRS adapters are re-cabled in balanced mode. 

I had to bump my send from -24 to -12 to achieve the same effect level and meters move even less. My questions are:

Is there any point in running 2 Aux? One of our vocals is mono and one is stereo but I’m thinking maybe I should be running the Elipse in Mono instead of stereo for a send/return FX into a mixer. 

The meter seems super low. Is that natural for this device?

Any help appreciated. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Assuming that your -24,-12 values are in dB, this is very low. The Eclipse will work best with a line level of +4dB average, with peaks over +20. You should probably set the send level to its maximum for best results – you should have most of the green leds lit on high signal. Also, check the Eclipse input gains – a system reset might be appropriate..

If the low level works for you, well and good. But, you may get more background noise than you want, and some dynamics effects may not trigger on such a low level.

mwd

Attaching external devices, for the X32 rack, consisted of going to routing and assigning Aux Out 1/2 to Mix Bus 1/2 then linking Mix bus 1/2 and setting level to 0 (infinity). Then going to Aux FX and linking 1/2 and setting to 0 (infinity). Then going to vocal channel and raising send to desired level to blend wet/dry. Doing this I notice the signal barely registers yet I hear some reverb and FX.  

I am thinking, after reading your response, that my concept of how this works is not correct. Are you suggesting I raise the send to 0 and perhaps use the mix control in the Eclipse to achieve desired level of wet/dry mix effect?  

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

For obvious reasons, I'm not familiar with your mixer and your setup.

Usually, one would send full level to an effects unit (assuming it can take it), and have a return gain control (effect mix) to set the amout of effect (wet level). In this case, the effect unit would be set to 100% wet.

It is particularly important to give a digital effect unit a good level, as this affects both noise and distortion.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.