Eclipse knob wiggling a little.. normal?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eclipse knob wiggling a little.. normal?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      markiv2290
      Participant

Gents,

I just acquired an Eclipse, used and in good shape, from the original owner.

The rotary knob has a little wiggle. A little over 1/64″ front-to-back and maybe a little more when tilting it off axis.

It turns freely and remains centered as it turns. So I removed the two 1/16 allen screws to check the encoder shaft. It has a little play, which translates to the wiggling in the knob.

Is this normal and/or like that from the factory? Or maybe it’s due to wear, over time?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I would guess that it is wear ove r time, or maybe the knob has been banged.

If the control is operating normally I would suggest that you ignore it. A replacement part would not be expensive, but would be a fiddle to change.

markiv2290
      Participant

I have not opened the unit.
      How is the encoder mounted inside? From pictures I found online, it seems to be hidden behind a PCB. Removing that PCBA should not be too complicated, but is the encoder soldered on that PCB ? Hopefully not… direct-mount controls pots/encoders/switches are not the best for maintenance.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It is indeed soldered. And, you have to take the front panel off and remove the PCB from it to get to the encoder.

Like I said, fiddly.

markiv2290
        Participant

Is it soldered on its own daugtherboard ?

If so maybe the daugther board can be replaced. Unless its common with the display or else…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.