Eclipse pitch shift from midi notes?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eclipse pitch shift from midi notes?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      mattw1
      Participant

Hi guys–

First time post, long time every day Eclipse user. I have 3. Anyway! I was wondering if it is possible to control a pitch shift by note number. So, basically middle C would be a 0 shift, D above would be +2, G above would be +7, etc. I want to create ambient soundscapes that are basically a drone and have the keyboard player in my band “play me” so to speak. If that makes sense.

Thanks, Matt

mattw1
      Participant

It even refers to this in the manual:

…with programs that explicitly call for some sort of “external” controller. For example, a program called “MidiHarmony” might call for MIDI notes to adjust the amount of pitch shifting that is applied to an audio signal.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Puppeteer
      Participant

It’s possible within VSIG. I’m not sure what algorithms are available in the Eclipse though, but you could build it on the H9000 if such an algorithm isn’t included.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Hello,

I just had a look around the Eclipse documentation and the unit itself and unfortunately cannot give you a definitive answer for this. There is an algorithm “MIDI Harmony” on both the H8000 and H9000, but it is not clear if this exists on the Eclipse. Looking through the preset and algorithm documentation it is not mentioned there, so I am not sure why it is mentioned in the user guide.

However, you can set an external controller to use “Note On” which for the Eclipse is actually MIDI Note Number (see p46 of the Eclipse user manual). You should be able to configure that external controller to your pitch shift parameter, and then your MIDI notes will change the parameter accordingly.

mattw1
      Participant

Thanks. I did see note on, but I didn’t think that referred to note number. This is an obvious question that I should know the answer to, but how do I configure that to control pitch shift amount? Also, in the case of say, multishift4, is it possible to play a chord on a keyboard and have each one of those notes control one of the shifts?

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

I’m sorry, but I do not have an answer for that question. It seems that only certain parameters can be assigned to the external controllers from the Edit FX menu. There may be a pitch algorithm that allows this, but you would have to discover this one your own via trial and error.

Sorry for not having more information for you. The Eclipse is considered a legacy product at this point and we can only provide so much support for this. A user who is more experienced with the unit may have better answers for you.

mattw1
      Participant

Okay I got this basically figured out. I can only do it monophonically for now– ie, only one shift– but here’s how it works.

1. Set up an EXT controller in setup to read “note on”. This actually tracks the note number in addition to the note on message generally speaking. You press setup until you come to the EXT menu and then use whatever one you want. I used EXT#8 in my case.

2. I set up StShifter which is 162 in the factory presets. You press parameter, edit FXA, and then HOLD DOWN the pitch parameter and it’ll give you a menu. On the second screen you have source, which you set to EXT#8 in my case. The type I set in the first screen is “bipolar” which I think means both up and down.

3. Here’s the tricky part. On the second screen you hav a “scale” param. For whatever reason, this appears to need to be +/-6340 at least in bipolar mode. The reason you need to do this is then an octave on the keyboard causes a shift of 1198 cents. You could prolly get the number more exact, but I’mnot sure it will respect tempering. Maybe this’d work better w diatonic shift? In my case this works fine.

If anyone is interested i can post pics or a vid, but likely, no one is interested. 😉

noodle1
        Participant

I was going to type most of this out yesterday, but didn’t know how step 3 would work and no longer have an eclipse to test. Thanks for the confirmation

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.