Eclipse responding to bank change message on different channel

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eclipse responding to bank change message on different channel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      sstrick
      Participant

I  have a device on MIDI channel 1 and the eclipse on MIDI channel 2. With my foot controller I am sending a Bank Change message on CH1 followed by a program change on channel. At the same time I am sending a program change message to the eclipse on channel 2. I have confirmed the foot controller is doing just this w/ MIDIox.

My problem is while the first device is change normally, the eclipse responds to the bank change even though it is not on the same channel.

Example, I send a Bank Change 0 with a program change of 4 on the channel 1 device and a program change 1  on the Eclipse (set to midi channel 2), it responds normally.

Device 1 = PC 4

Eclipse = PC 1

However, if I send a Bank Change 1 with a program change of 4 on the channel 1
      device and a program change 1  on the Eclipse (set to midi channel 2), it responds:

Device 1 = PC131

Eclipse = PC 101

Or

if I send a Bank Change 2 with a program change of 4 on the channel 1
      device and a program change 1  on the Eclipse (set to midi channel 2), it responds:

Device 1 = PC259

Eclipse = PC 201

How can I avoid this?

IDeangelis

Hi

I assume you have the latest OS on your Eclipse, V_3.51. If that's not the case you should update your unit first.

When you state "Eclipse = PC 101" you mean Preset 101, right? That's the preset that is loaded?

So that we are on the same track, this is how Eclipse uses Bank Change (MIDI CC #0), from the latest user manual:

Using MIDI Bank Select Messages 
      MIDI bank select messages allow random access to all presets in your Eclipse, unlike MIDI maps which
      limit the selection to 128 choices.  Eclipse receives bank select messages on MIDI continuous controller
      #0.
      For example, to load preset #451, send a MIDI bank select message (continuous controller #0) with a
      value of 4, followed by a MIDI program change message with a value of 51.  To load preset 13, send a
      MIDI bank select message (continuous controller #0) with a value of 0, followed by a MIDI program
      change message with a value of 13.
      At power-up, Eclipse will default to the current Midi Map (see above).  After receiving a MIDI bank se-
      lect message, Eclipse will ?remember? this bank until it receives another Bank Select message.  
      To re-enable one of the three MIDI Maps, simply send bank select #101, #102, or #103 to enable Midi
      Map 1, 2, or 3, respectively.

best

I

sstrick
      Participant

Thank, I understand how the bank change works and it is a good feature.
      And you assumed correctly, I am on 3.51. My problem is that the eclipse
      is responding to a bank change message on a different MIDI channel. I
      am sending the bank change message on midi channel 1, the eclipse is
      set to midi channel 2.

How can I get it to stop responding to a bank change message on a different channel?

IDeangelis

Try a CLEAR SETUP on Eclipse. Just in case a system reset will straight things up.

I

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sounds like your MIDI Channel is set to OMNI. See p.48 of the latest User Manual.

sstrick
      Participant

Nope, that is the first thing I checked. It is set to 2.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm devastated to admit this, but you're right and we're wrong.

On looking at it closely, the MIDI channel setting would appear to be ignored for  the bank change CC #0.

The program change DOES work correctly,  but this means that Eclipse cannot be used when bank change messages are sent to another unit on the same MIDI.

This will be fixed in the next release, which currently has no published schedule. 

sstrick
      Participant

Ok, I can get around it in the mean time by sending a bank select message w/ the program change for the eclipse. The developer for my Liquid-Foot Midi Controller is including a feature that will automatically do this, I just enter in the preset number and it will issue the correct bank select, program change number. At least I am not going crazy.

IDeangelis

You can also use the MIDI Maps. 3 are available for full customization, each one addressing up to 128 presets.

best

I

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.