Eclipse SPDIF Usage

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eclipse SPDIF Usage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      gregsinibaldi
      Participant
      Hello,

I’m a new Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 owner I’m trying to use my Eventide Eclipse as an external effects unit via SPDIF. 

I have the correct cables and routing as follows

Scarlett SPDIF IN –> Eclipse SPDIF OUT

Scarlett SPDIF OUT —-> Eclipse SPDIF IN

These connections cause a buzz in my speakers by the way, but not in the tracks into my DAW (I figure thats another issue to deal with later)

My Eclipse settings:

DigIn set to RCA

Clock set to 48 kHz

DigIn Status say unlocked.

The SPDIF Outs on the Scarlett (via the Focusrite Control software) are set to Playback 1/2 (which is my daw) and the clock source is set to internal. Sample rate is also 48

Maybe i don’t understand how SPDIF is supposed to work. If thats the case, please school me. I want to send audio out of my daw to the eclipse and back into the daw. 

I’ve read page 24-25 of the user manual many times and I’m too stupid to understand what the issue is. My EXT light is flashing which tells me that there is no signal or its corrupt. I dont understand why theres no signal. I hear sound coming out of my speakers. Ive also set the meters to read Digital In. 

Ive tested my cables and they are cool. I sent the same question to the focusrite folks as well… I’m not sure who to ask…

Thanks for any help!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You need to set SETUP DIG-IN (CLOCK) to DigIn. See UM p.8 and p.22.

This will allow the Eclipse to sync to the incoming S/PDIF signal. Otherwise it will be unlocked and will mute.

gregsinibaldi
      Participant

Thanks for the quick response… I did that. Now both the EXT and 48 are blinking.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

p.23 says "Note: If there is no signal at the digital input or if the signal is absent or corrupt, the EXT LED and rate LED will blink and the Eclipse will switch to the internal rate closest to the last valid external rate."

Can you confirm that CLOCK is set to DIGIN, and that "Dig-In" is set to RCA ? If so, it suggests that there is a problem with the digital input signal. 

You imply that you are running at 48kHz – note that S/PDIF is not always reliable at higher sample rates.

gregsinibaldi
      Participant
      Thanks NickRose. 

I noticed that too on p. 23 and am not sure whats wrong with the digital input signal. I’ll see what the Focusrite folks have to say. 

I can confirm that Clock is set to DigIn and DigIn is set to RCA. I do note that the Clock is says “DigIn…….. kHz”. I’m assuming that the Eclipse is expecting a particular sample rate? Is that what the periods mean?  

Yes thats correct I set everything to 48kHz, only because I thought that was best for SPDIF. But I can try it at 44.1. Do I have the concept correct? I can use SPDIF to send audio out form the DAW and back?

Thanks again for the help!

gregsinibaldi
      Participant

I just got off the phone with the Focusrite folks. We did a feedback loop test to confirm the interface was sending audio out of the SPDIF and it passed. THey said I should come back to Eventide and see about possible next steps. I’m not sure what to do next.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – without being there there is nothing more I can tell you. I would suggest you find another way to do what you need, or hire a local technician to take a look.

If your Eclipse is still under warranty you should send it in to be checked, otherwise support@eventide.com.

My guess is that the Eclipse is fine, and there is something in your setup that is causing the problem. But, I could easily be wrong.

One thought – can you use AES instead – this is usually more reliable.

gregsinibaldi
      Participant

Thats a bummer… I appreciate your quick responses. 

AES is Optical cables? My interface only has SPDIF RCA in/out. Are there cables available that are RCA to Optical?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

AES is a 3 pin XLR connector – like you would use with a microphone.

gregsinibaldi
      Participant

DO you know of an RCA to 3pin XLR digital cable? Ive seen them as audio cables but not digital

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

To connect from S/PDIF to AES you need to connect pin 3 of the AES to S/PDIF ground and pin 2 of the AES to S/PDIF signal.(Or vice-versa). Pin 1 of the AES should be left unconnected.

Because this is a pretty simple cable, people usually make them themselves, so there are not many commercial ones available.

But be aware that this is not a guaranteed fix, although it may be helpful.

If you can generate an optical S/PDIF, this would be worth trying.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      gregsinibaldi wrote:

I noticed that too on p. 23 and am not sure whats wrong with the digital input signal. I'll see what the Focusrite folks have to say. 

Try different (not long) cables. If possible, try a loopback (bypassing the Eclipse) using the original send cable and see if you get a return signal.

gregsinibaldi wrote:

I can confirm that Clock is set to DigIn and DigIn is set to RCA. I do note that the Clock is says "DigIn…….. kHz". I'm assuming that the Eclipse is expecting a particular sample rate? Is that what the periods mean?  

Not so – the periods mean that it is not seeing an input signal so can't measure the sample rate.
      gregsinibaldi wrote:

Yes that's correct I set everything to 48kHz, only because I thought that was best for SPDIF. But I can try it at 44.1. Do I have the concept correct? I can use SPDIF to send audio out form the DAW and back?

You have the concept and you can. 48K should be OK – the higher rates can be marginal with S/PDIF.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.