Eleven rack and Eclipse tap tempo

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eleven rack and Eclipse tap tempo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      thomasb
      Participant

Hi, is there an easy way to make Eleven Rack and Eclipse talk tempo? I've tried several things. Right now I have connected my controller (Roland FC300) to the ER -> midi out -> Eclipse. I try to tap the tempo on ER, the "busy" light flickers but there's no change in tempo. The Eclipse also responds to program change with no problem so the midi connection is fine. The CC for tap is #64 on the ER so I tried to set the Tempo on the Eclipse to #16. Then I tried several sources on #16 in the External menu. No change.

Mr_Clean

you need to set up your midi f/c  tap tempo firstly to work with 11 R. cc64 (say ch1). Then go to externals on the Eclipse (midi ch 2) and set source to damper, then page 2 to capture…… The Eclipse will learn the cc64 and automatically set is receive ch(for this function) to base -1 (brilliant feature this !). You now have tap tempo going from 1 cc and 1 midi ch on your foot controller to both units ! COOL…..note the 11 rack has a stupid bug, in that momentary midi cc (for tap tempo) double the tap rate, so a 80 bpm tap, will come up as 160bpm on the 11, and 80 bpm on the Eclipse. You can get around this by setting the sync settings in the 11r. Avid know about this, but are typically slow (about a year since I pointed it out) in fixing…….

thomasb
      Participant

Thanks, I've tried you're suggestions and similar but it still doesn't work.

Tempo is set to ext. 1. Ext. 1 is set to damper (it comes up with base -1) though when I hit capture and step on the pedal it shows MIDI double, not damper anymore. The monitor show a bit over 50% but it doesn't move nor does the tempo change. Seems like the only solution is to make a split cable from a pedal and feed the direct pedal inputs (pedal inputs on 11R and Eclipse work perfectly for tap). Still I find it very strange that the Eclipse seems to receive midi data (the busy light flashes when I tap) but it won't be directed to tempo. Sad to hear that AVID is slow with fixes on such issues. Tap tempo is a crucial feature. 

Mr_Clean

Sounds like your foot controller is not sending momentary but latch. You need to change the pedal setting for momentary, cheers

thomasb
      Participant

Thanks again for the reply. I've tried latch and momentary on the FC300, but it works best with latch, which is strange. When set to momentary it seems to read only half of the taps. Anyway tried to tap directly on the 11R. Midi is set to CC and thru. On the tempo page the 11R is set to midi as well. Maybe there's something wrong with the 11R?

Mr_Clean

Likely a pedal problem. With the quality of the gear and investment you have made to date, get a Ground Control Pro – works perfectly with that rig (same as mine), cheers

thomasb
      Participant

I eventually found a way to make this work (after a few hours of tweaking), but the bug you mentioned is unavoidable. When I tap in 120 BPM the Eleven rack transmits 60 BPM to the Eclipse.

I'm going to buy a G-system second hand. It will work as a glorified controller and I might use some of the effects as well. Thanks for all help. 

MrClean
      Participant

Lodge a support ticket with Avid re the midi tap tempo bug, cheers

erikbojerik

The G system has the same problem – its Tap Tempo sends CC#19 messages in latch mode, Eclipse wants its messages in momentary mode.  So BPMs on the Eclipse will be 1/2 the BPMs on the G system.

I get around this by using a dedicated button on the G system floorboard to send CC#19 in momentary mode (it has this option) to the Eclispe, which sets its tempo – then send MIDI Clock back out from the Eclipse to the G.  Annoying but it works.

What the Eclipse needs is a (TRIGMODE) parameter for the general purpose externals (#1-16) not just the "dedicated externals".  There's room on the 3rd hotkey on the page assigning the source to the externals.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.