Emote Fx Chain metering problem

Home Forums Products Rackmount Emote Fx Chain metering problem

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      homer
      Participant

Hi,

currently facing a very strange issue…I am using my h9k + Madi extension in conjunction with a RME Madi Fx and Cubase 12 (OS is Win11)
      In Cubase I have setup 8 Fx sends which are passing audio via Madi to my h9k and back.

While my first FX chain’s metering is showing both in and output signals correctly in Emote, the metering is dead on the other 3 chains. Strange enough audio is going in and coming out of those 3 chains and processed as expected, despite the meters showing nothing.

On top when checking the meters of the individual Madi i/o’s used for the sends and returns from the h9k front panel, they do show the incoming and outgoing signal correctly. Looks like as if the meters in Emote are just not getting that info as all the gain anf i/o settings are at default value 0dB

I reinstalled Emote and tried everything but so far I haven‘t been able to get the meters to work for mow and not sure what

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

homer

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Hi Homer,

Can you please upload a few screenshots that show how your routing is configured for the FX Chain with the metering issues?

Emote’s meters will only display the input/output levels for the first 8 input/output blocks, so it may be that you are using different input/output blocks for the other FX Chains.

homer
      Participant

Definitely no screenshot necessary as I did  use in fact nodes 8+. This is because I would like to keep the Madi channel number in Cubase associated with the same Madi node number in Emote to keep my routings consistent between both.

For most it might not be a big deal as many would create a setup once and never look back. With128 channels of Madi on my setup and complex routings involving a Flock Audio Patch all hell breaks loose if you have to rearrange once in a while only. I for one built some logic which is easy to recall to avoid spending ages to reverse engineer something that I did a year ago.

I don’t know what technical limits there are but the metering should be taking into account all inputs which are connected within the chain. In any case the metering in Emote is cumbersome. Total Mix if RME comes to mind if you would like to do it right, at least in terms of viewing all I/O levels.

Maybe something for Emote 4.x

🙂

homer
      Participant

Thanks anyway…just a question as I did not see it: Is the limitation to I/Os 1-8 mentioned in the User Guide? If not it might be good to put it in there…

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Thanks for following up with this information. I don’t believe this is mentioned in the user guide, and we can add that to avoid this confusion.

Expanded metering is also something that we’d like to add to a future update. If you have any suggestions for what would be useful, please let us know.

It’s also worth mentioning that you can view the meters for any group of 8 channels by selecting Window > Meter Bridge. This may be useful to you if you don’t have access to the front panel to view the meters – https://cdn.eventideaudio.com/manuals/h9000/2.0/content/emote/overview.html#menu-bar

homer
      Participant

Hi,

thanks for responding. I am pretty aware of the extra metering using the Meter Bridge. While it is kind of neat to have it, it does not really help when you have complex setups.

1) I would prefer to have another tab in Emote which is dedicated to metering. I mean in RME Total mix I can see all the meters in one window, with inputs and outputs split horizontally. Ideally I would like to have a similar view and contrary to Total Mix which is really a routing app and sometimes getting complex for this reason, this one would be only a view and could be reasonably simple

2) A great help would be to have some “diagnosis” UI elements and functions to allow signal flow to be traced better

• the new meters displaying their inputs / outputs nodes in the FX chain and highlighting them in a color within the connection editors windows in parallel
      • while hovering over a node, interactively displaying the audio level in a separate small window on top of the mouse pointer when pressing a shortcut

3) As I am a big fan of VSIG one more far off idea: I could imagine that for more expert user one could dissolve the current static layout in Emote by providing a node based editor like in VSIG for the windows layout. Imagine a similar graphical node editor with the right objects, like i.e. I/O (one for each type like analog, AES, Madi), some Meter Bridge and a FX Chain objects on top. I then could create a layout visually in this editor and as a result it would create a tab in emote with all the UI windows and elements in said tab. For me that would allow for maximum flexibility. While this might not be working out for everybody, at least those willing to customize their UI would be able to do so. In a sense you have the technology already in place so for me it would be adding 1+1 for the best user experience. At least I think it would really allow me to streamline things with this great unit for better productivity a lot.

But as always, YMMV

Homer

joeydego
      Participant

For Meterbridge to be reasonably functional, it should at least show a single group of 8 IO at once without having to switch back and forth. Best scenario is show all of it or let me choose up until all of the available IO.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.