Eurorack CV to H9000

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eurorack CV to H9000

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      chuckhague
      Participant

I’m aware that this is a strange edge case for which the H9000 isn’t really designed, but I’m trying to figure out if there’s a reliable way to get CV from my eurorack into the H9000. There are two things that should work in theory but neither is actually working. The first is to use a CV to MIDI cc converter, but this makes the H9000 choke– I think there’s too much MIDI information generated this way. The second is to attenuate CV down to line level and plug into the expression pedal inputs, but this doesn’t work either; the expression input seems to stutter and won’t correctly catch the CV.

Has anyone else tried doing this? Any pointers? Thanks!

John Baylies
      Participant

you may want to keep an eye out for this product, which seems to send out MIDI at a rate that keeps the H9000 happy: https://northernlightmodular.com/product/evenmidi-rack/

I’d convert the CV to line-level, send it in to the H9000 just like regular audio, and use Vsig to add inputs to the algorithms that you want to use audio-rate modulation with.

chuckhague
      Participant

you may want to keep an eye out for this product, which seems to send out MIDI at a rate that keeps the H9000 happy: https://northernlightmodular.com/product/evenmidi-rack/ I’d convert the CV to line-level, send it in to the H9000 just like regular audio, and use Vsig to add inputs to the algorithms that you want to use audio-rate modulation with.

That’s super cool, thanks! I see that there’s also a eurorack version. As long as it has something that will keep the H9000 from freaking out when it gets sent MIDI, then this is exactly what I’m looking for.

sndsgd
      Participant

Can you confirm which cv to midi converter you’re using?

chuckhague
      Participant

I’ve tried two: Expert Sleepers CVM-8 and Befaco CV Thing. Both create cc data that overwhelms the H9000. The developer of CVM-8 indicated that he may add a sample rate control, which could fix the issue.

John Baylies
      Participant

a rate control would fix the issue. I’ve used max/msp’s qlim for this sort of thing.

sndsgd
      Participant

Whelp! I have a befaco cv thing on its way right now and was intending to use it purely for controlling my h9k. I guess I’ll have to dig into the firmware repo and figure out how to slow things down a bit. I’ll ping this thread if I can get something working.

sndsgd
      Participant

I’ve tried two: Expert Sleepers CVM-8 and Befaco CV Thing. Both create cc data that overwhelms the H9000. The developer of CVM-8 indicated that he may add a sample rate control, which could fix the issue.

Re: befaco cv thing, I’m seeing HiRES MIDI as a menu option in the firmware code. Can you confirm whether you have that enabled / disabled? Perhaps toggling that off will fix the issue.

John Baylies
      Participant

IIRC, the workaround is to map MIDI to the Emote plugin’s Functions, which will then send the function data over your LAN, which won’t choke the H9000.

Like this:

Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 2.05.43 PM

Not like this:

Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 2.07.53 PM

chuckhague
      Participant

Re: befaco cv thing, I’m seeing HiRES MIDI as a menu option in the firmware code. Can you confirm whether you have that enabled / disabled? Perhaps toggling that off will fix the issue.

I’m not skilled enough with github stuff to know about that, unfortunately. I have found that running CV through a sample & hold makes things work better although it’s not an ideal solution. I’ll definitely be interested to hear if you can get it working that way.

IIRC, the workaround is to map MIDI to the Emote plugin’s Functions, which will then send the function data over your LAN, which won’t choke the H9000. Like this: Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 2.05.43 PM Not like this: Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 2.07.53 PM

Thanks for the info! I’m hoping to find a workaround that allows me to bypass the computer, but I’ll try this if I can’t find another way.

sndsgd
      Participant

I’m not skilled enough with github stuff to know about that, unfortunately. I have found that running CV through a sample & hold makes things work better although it’s not an ideal solution. I’ll definitely be interested to hear if you can get it working that way.

You don’t need to touch code for this; as per the cv thing manual, the HiRES MIDI settings appear to be available in the menu you access on the front panel of cv thing. At any rate, I’ll reply to this thread once I get my cv thing and know more.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.