EVE/NET protocol

Home Forums Products Rackmount EVE/NET protocol

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      emilm
      Participant

I was curious about the EVE/NET protocol and thought it would be an interesting project to make a software or plugin to manage the Eventide units.

Since it’s not Ethernet it has to be something else, but you can get adapters for UART, SPI and I2C .

I completely understand if you don’t want to give me info, I don’t expect a proprietary protocol to have “public style” documentation. 🙂

I thought would be better to ask than to get a used EVE/NET and use a logic analyzer 🙂

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Eve/Net uses CAN (Controller Area Network). a network protocol from the motor industry, running at up to 1Mb/s.

I'm afraid we have no public documentation of the protocol, but it is pretty straightforward.

There are USB CAN adaptors available, but it would be a lot of work to use them.

emilm
      Participant

Thanks! that’s really helpful.

Do you happen to have a pinout from the RJ45, and does the EVE/NET module need to present itself or send a magic byte to be allowed to receive data?

Or does the display data etc just flow continuously and it’s just pushed onto the CAN bus

Thanks again! 🙂

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The RJ45 is:

1) Power+ (24V)

2) GND

3) CANH

4) Power+ (24V)

5) Power+ (24V)

6) CANL

7) GND

8) GND

I don't have the details of the protocol, so you will have to work it out yourself. First, get a good book on CAN.

emilm
      Participant

Thanks a lot! The biggest mystery is what the eve/net send from it’s panel, jog wheel and kbobs. I guess the only way is to sniff the communication with wireshark.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.