Eventide H8000 Bus Errors and other issues

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eventide H8000 Bus Errors and other issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      AntoineVersace
      Participant

Hi there

I have owned this unit for about 6 years and only after two weeks of owning I got a Buss error.

The other week same thing happened as it did today.
      What are the reasons for a Buss error?
      I am not using any cards?
      Any cause for concerns?

Also ever since owning this thing I have noticed that some factory presets don’t work when loaded. Why is that? Should every factory preset loaded work?

I am using a very straightforward connection/ analog ins and outs on 1&2 nothing more apart from having the midi in cable connected. Does the particular factory preset not work because it’s configured differently?

Other issues I have encountered most recently are when I change presets it seems to have some background noise on the preset until I stop the audio completely. It’s like the unit hasn’t quite dropped the original preset which was loaded. Kind of weird. Last but not least I seem to have a blotch in the corner of the screen. It’s like a dark patch of blue and black, no I have never hit the screen. Is this because the unit is getting old? Should I consider a new screen?
      Thanks

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm afraid that the "bus error" is a catch-all that can have many causes. It is usually a CPU or memory problem, but it can be caused by a bad battery or card. Your background noise might suggest a memory problem.

Screens are difficult as the original screen is no longer available – you should contact support@eventide.com for availability and pricing.

AntoineVersace
      Participant

So is it possible the unit was faulty when new considering the first time this happened was when it was only 2 week’s old?
      Could the bus error simply stop and not cause any more problems or would you recommend a technician looking at this? Are these issues fixable by a qualified tech?
      In regards to the factory presets and why some don’t work at all can you please explain?
      It’s quite disappointing that a unit costing this much would have so many issues….In the years of owning I have used less then 100 hours, yet so many problems?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If this only happens rarely, while annoying, you might want to let it be. 

Otherwise, support@eventide.com

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The expression "don't work", while common, is uninformative.

Are you running at 48K or 96K, and what do you mean by "don't work" ?

AntoineVersace
      Participant

When I say don’t work it means the program has no affect on the sound. It does not process the sound.
      Example I may load a delay program and whilst I can still hear audio I am not hearing the delay. This only happens with some factory presets.

AntoineVersace
      Participant

I am inning at 44.1

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

My guess is that you have some routing or connection issue where you are only hearing the dry signal.

This may be specific to certain configurations – for example it probably only occurs on (example) quad presets because you only have a stereo output.

You would need to give examples of the presets that "don't work" along with a complete description of your connections for us to help you.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

An I/O identifier of 22 means that it has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. It doesn't mean that it only works in stereo, just that if you have more outputs or inputs some may not be active.

To fully use a 44 preset you need 4 inputs and 4 outputs, but you may (or may not) find it useful in a stereo setup – try it and see.

joeydego
      Participant

I’m going to add I REALLY love the H9 stuff that has been ported over to the H9000, not sure if this has been done if the 8000. The way you can select mono/stereo sources right in the algorithm along with killdry really makes it simple. Wish I can be of more help, Ive never even seen an 8000 and have no idea what the user interface (or even if a GUI controller) looks like. 

I did ask a while back if every algorithm can be written this way and the answer was no, due to the complexity of some (digging into the unit, MANY) algorithms its not so cut and dry. I get that. Having owned many hardware processors in the past, this is definitely the most complex and and powerful. With great power comes great responsibility! Learning all the ins and outs of all our gear (literally and figuratively) only reaps rewards and eliminates countless hours of “why dont I hear anything”. 

AntoineVersace
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

If this only happens rarely, while annoying, you might want to let it be. 

Otherwise, support@eventide.com

Thanks
      Any chance you know why some factory presets don’t work when loading?

AntoineVersace
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

My guess is that you have some routing or connection issue where you are only hearing the dry signal.

This may be specific to certain configurations – for example it probably only occurs on (example) quad presets because you only have a stereo output.

You would need to give examples of the presets that "don't work" along with a complete description of your connections for us to help you.

Yes I kind of thought this was the case. Let me give it another go tomorrow and identify which presets don’t work.
      My setup is straightforward analog in and and out on 1&2 connected to a console.

I understand as I read through the manual again and forgive me as I have not paid much attention to this unit recently and have forgot lots of info I read from the manual years ago….
      The presets have an I/0 identifier then if I only have analog 1&2 connected isn’t it logic that only presets with an I/O identification of 2/2 will work?

Can you please provide an example of what connection is required for a quad preset to work? I have very limited experience with rack units that have many in and out options. I am used to a simple mono and stereo configuration:)
      I plan on connecting analog input 3&4 finally to run programs out on dsp b to make the most of this unit.

Thank you

AntoineVersace
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

An I/O identifier of 22 means that it has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. It doesn’t mean that it only works in stereo, just that if you have more outputs or inputs some may not be active.

To fully use a 44 preset you need 4 inputs and 4 outputs, but you may (or may not) find it useful in a stereo setup – try it and see.

Ok so I only work with mono and stereo sources. I’m struggling to understand when ever I would need to process a sound which uses 4 inputs and outputs? Or even 8 inputs and outputs? 

Sorry if this seems absurd however I am trying to understand once and for all. 

here is the thing, many presets with an I/0 of 44 or 88 do indeed work on only 2 inputs and outputs, I have tried it, so what am I missing out on by only using 2 inputs and outputs on such a preset. 

thanks kindly for your help

I very much appreciate it

joeydego
      Participant
      AntoineVersace wrote:

nickrose wrote:

An I/O identifier of 22 means that it has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. It doesn’t mean that it only works in stereo, just that if you have more outputs or inputs some may not be active.

Ok so I only work with mono and stereo sources. I’m struggling to understand when ever I would need to process a sound which uses 4 inputs and outputs? Or even 8 inputs and outputs? 

here is the thing, many presets with an I/0 of 44 or 88 do indeed work on only 2 inputs and outputs, I have tried it, so what am I missing out on by only using 2 inputs and outputs on such a preset. 

Surround sound can be one of many uses. Maybe you only want part of the processed signal to go to its own bus? Maybe you want to be able to take advantage of multiple inputs from different sources and NOT have it as a bus effect?

I too only work in stereo so when I see an algorithm with more than a 2 in 2 out configuration on the H9000, I proceed with caution. Honestly there’s so many algorithms in the box I avoid anything that isn’t 2/2. Is it the same case with the 8000? 

AntoineVersace
      Participant
      joeydego wrote:
      AntoineVersace wrote:

nickrose wrote:

Surround sound can be one of many uses. Maybe you only want part of the processed signal to go to its own bus? Maybe you want to be able to take advantage of multiple inputs from different sources and NOT have it as a bus effect?

I too only work in stereo so when I see an algorithm with more than a 2 in 2 out configuration on the H9000, I proceed with caution. Honestly there’s so many algorithms in the box I avoid anything that isn’t 2/2. Is it the same case with the 8000? 

Yes it seems to be the case.

The manual does not make it clear though that you cannot use these other presets.

So ultimately if I am working with a simple 1&2 stereo configuration every other preset other a preset with an I/0 of 22 is pretty much useless ?

Not a big deal, I’m not complaining here I’m just trying to understand how to best use the box with so many input and output options.

AntoineVersace
      Participant
      joeydego wrote:

I’m going to add I REALLY love the H9 stuff that has been ported over to the H9000, not sure if this has been done if the 8000. The way you can select mono/stereo sources right in the algorithm along with killdry really makes it simple. Wish I can be of more help, Ive never even seen an 8000 and have no idea what the user interface (or even if a GUI controller) looks like. 

I did ask a while back if every algorithm can be written this way and the answer was no, due to the complexity of some (digging into the unit, MANY) algorithms its not so cut and dry. I get that. Having owned many hardware processors in the past, this is definitely the most complex and and powerful. With great power comes great responsibility! Learning all the ins and outs of all our gear (literally and figuratively) only reaps rewards and eliminates countless hours of “why dont I hear anything”. 

I imagine 9000 is a great machine.

I was going to take the plunge but to be honest I own the 3000 and have barely dug into this one.
      Are the presets on 9000 same as the 8000?

Thanks

joeydego
      Participant
      AntoineVersace wrote:
      joeydego wrote:

I imagine 9000 is a great machine. I was going to take the plunge but to be honest I own the 3000 and have barely dug into this one. Are the presets on 9000 same as the 8000? Thanks

I have no idea, as I came from an H9 to the H9000 with no other gear. 

tmoravan
      Participant
      AntoineVersace wrote:

I imagine 9000 is a great machine. I was going to take the plunge but to be honest I own the 3000 and have barely dug into this one. Are the presets on 9000 same as the 8000? Thanks

A couple things — some of the 4/4 or 8/8 presets on the H8000 are very useful in mono or stereo.  You have to read the descriptions in the H8000 Family Presets Manual to see the details.  For example, there are some 8/8 compressors or delays that give you 8 mono channels of a compressor or delay.  Sometimes the description will say what all the I and O is used for, so again, that manual is essential for getting the most out of the H8000.

As far as your other question – the H9000 and H8000 have a lot of the same-named presets.  The hardware and software architectures inside the boxes are different.  Eventide did an excellent job of porting *most* of the H8000 algorithms over to the H9000.  Since the hw and sw are different, not all presets sound exactly the same and there are some that are still missing.  The H9000 Algorithms Manual is a useful guide as to what’s in the box, so you can look up your favorite H8000 presets and see if they are there in the H9000.

AntoineVersace
      Participant
      tmoravan wrote:
      AntoineVersace wrote:

A couple things — some of the 4/4 or 8/8 presets on the H8000 are very useful in mono or stereo.  You have to read the descriptions in the H8000 Family Presets Manual to see the details.  For example, there are some 8/8 compressors or delays that give you 8 mono channels of a compressor or delay.  Sometimes the description will say what all the I and O is used for, so again, that manual is essential for getting the most out of the H8000.

As far as your other question – the H9000 and H8000 have a lot of the same-named presets.  The hardware and software architectures inside the boxes are different.  Eventide did an excellent job of porting *most* of the H8000 algorithms over to the H9000.  Since the hw and sw are different, not all presets sound exactly the same and there are some that are still missing.  The H9000 Algorithms Manual is a useful guide as to what’s in the box, so you can look up your favorite H8000 presets and see if they are there in the H9000.

Yes I am reading the manual for the second time.

Yes some 44 and 88 presets do work fine on a mono or stereo signal, I have tried.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.