Expression Pedal changes programs unintentionally

Home Forums Products Rackmount Expression Pedal changes programs unintentionally

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Fabian
      Participant

Hi

I use a Boss FC-50 for program changes (MIDI channel #1) which works fine. There is EB pedal plugged into the boss as an expression pedal (MIDI channel #7) which would work, but whenever I I want to use it, it performs program changes as well.

The main midi channel in the eclipse is set to 1 and as it says in the manual I set the ext type to volume and the midi channel to 1 + 6. This way the pedal is not recognized but with capture it changes the channel to 0 and is recognized but the moving pedal immediately changes to another program. What am I doing wrong? On my earlier FX units this midi setup worked just fine.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Kind Regards

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

My guess is that you have to speak to Mr Boss.

Assuming that most MIDI to the Eclipse is working, this would rule out any hardware issues. In which case it is unlikely the the Eclipse would mistake a CC message from your pedal as a MIDI Program Change. It is much more likely that the FC-50 is mis-programmed and is sending PC when you don't expect it to.

Fabian
      Participant

Hi Nickrose

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes I thought of that too, but I don't see why the exact same MIDI setup worked with the my earlier Rocktron and TC units; if the Boss sends program changes on other channels why didn't the other units get PC changes as well? I still think I could be doing something wrong, but I think I tried everything…

I will see if I can get hold of another controller and check out what will happen. Thank you very much for your help so far.

Kindest Regards

Fabian
      Participant

Hi

Just found something in the manual on page 30:

Using MIDI Bank Select Messages
      MIDI bank select messages allow random access to all presets in your Eclipse, unlike MIDI maps which limit the selection to 128 choices. Eclipse receives bank select messages on MIDI continuous controller (CC) #0. The bank number is the high digit of the program number.

Might that be what my Eclipse could be receiving from the Boss FC-50?? Can that function be switched off?

Thanks for being patient with me… Embarrassed

Best Regards

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

A Bank Select message in itself won't cause a Program Load – what it might do is to cause a subsequent MIDI Program Change to load a different program from the one you expected.

I think you must talk to Mr.Boss as I suspect the problem is at his end.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.