Expression pedals for H9

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Expression pedals for H9

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      atomheart411
      Participant

I am really disappointed in Eventide support on this. They list a whole bunch of pedals that “could” work. Only one that they recommend. Well I guess that let’s them off the hook for every other pedal in the world except to say it could work. Really? How? A little help here. How long has this pedal been around you you can’t provide a little help here? Even with the Ernie Ball how is it suppossed to connected? The H9 says the expression pedal input is a trs input. Ernie Ball is strictly ts connections. And else where it says that if you’re having problems maybe try a trs cable instead of a ts. What? Where was it even sugested to us a ts? Or maybe try this. Or maybe try that. This is support? Where’s the actual knowledge? Roland EV-5 never returns to zero. Normal? Not normal? How the hell do I know. Eventide really has no idea what works and what doesn’t? Either a pedal works or it doesn’t. No grey area there. I don’t know anybody who says that since it almost works I’m happy. The support is basically saying you’re on your own. Too bad. Figure it out yourself. What I’m figuring out is that Eventide really doesn’t care. So why the hell should I ever use anything from Eventide? So I can write their knowledge base?

camn
      Participant

There is a whole list of pedals that work.

bohan
      Eventide Staff

H9 has a FAQ page where it's clarified:

A: 

Our stompboxes will work with any expression pedal that is a simple resistive load (potentiometer) with a max value of 25k Ohms. For the best performance we recommend the Ernie Ball VP Jr. 25k. Connect the output to the Eventide stompbox expression pedal input. We have also have heard from users who had success with the M-Audio MGear EX-P, Line-6 EX-1, Mission Engineering SP1-LF, Source Audio Reflex Universal Expression Controller, Roland EV-5, and Boss FV500L.

New for H9:

Mission Engineering has released an expression pedal specifically designed to work with the H9. The SP-H9 has a potentiometer wired as a rheostat and an integrated momentary switch connected to the ring. This allows the customer to connect the expression pedal to the H9 with a single TRS cable and get both expression pedal and switch functionality in the one unit. There is also a parallel switch input so customers can connect an external TS switch just using a regular 1/4” instrument cable. Learn more at: http://missionengineering.com/?product=sp-h9-eventide

A: 

If your expression pedal has a trim pot control, try adjusting it to either end of its range. If your expression pedal causes parameter values to go from min to max and back down to min again as you move from toe to heel, try connecting it using a stereo phone cable rather than a mono cable. If the calibration seems wrong, try plugging the expression pedal in before powering up the stompbox.

H9 has an expresion pedal calibration feature. You can try turning it on and moving your pedal from heel to toe a couple of times and then turning it off to calibrate your expression pedal.

Here has more info about expresion pedal if you want to use both an Aux switch and an Expression pedal:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads/using-both-aux-switch-and-expression-pedal-h9

Given To Fly
      Participant

I feel like Eventide was trying to help guitarists out regarding expression pedals and Aux. switches. The Ernie Ball 25K Jr. volume pedal is readily available if the guitarist does not already own one. Same goes for the Digitech Aux. switch.
      So why the confusion? While Eventide wanted to simplify things, personally, I wanted rise to the occasion and learn a thing or two about expression pedals so I bought one and it didn’t work. (There is also the counterintuitive nature of using a volume pedal as an expression pedal rather than an expression pedal as an expression pedal which is slightly confusing.) In the end, I bought the stereo version of the Ernie Ball 25K Jr. There is nothing “Jr.” about it and I’m not sure they make it anymore, but it works. Moral of the tale is going with what the company recommends is usually the smart thing to do. An explanation from the company about why they recommend something (Ernie Ball 25k Jr.) is also helpful. Clear communication may not lead to understanding, but it will build trust, which is enough.

aljen
      Participant

Ok, the M-Audio MGear EX-P works fine for me. However, this inexpensive pedal is hard wired, i.e., the connection cable is not detachable. Which, of course, does limit, if not exclude, using of the pedal in an y-configuration with a switch. 

Also, I’ve tried the Moog expression pedal with my H9. This didn’t work as expected. The Moog pedal seems to be sending signals all the time even if in extreme heel position. As result, the display did not show the preset name, presenting some blinking, slightly changing number values all the time instead. 

chuckbluz

Before connecting an expression pedal to the H9, make sure the Expression pedal is enabled in the H9,and that pedal calibration is not disabled. These settings are available in H9 Control. With all expression pedals that require a separate cable, always plug the cable into the expression pedal first, before connecting the other end ot the cable to the H9 to ensure that the pedal calibrates properly. Move the treadle heel to toe a couple of times to verify that it is working and calibrated to the H9.

• I have tested the Ernie Ball VP Jr (250k version) with the H9, and it works. Connect a TS cable  from the "OUT" jack on the VP Jr to the EXP jack on the H9. The VP Jr 25k version is connected the same way.
      • The MOOG EP-3 works with the H9, but it requires a TRS cable connection. Also note that the switch on the bottom of the EP-3 must be set to "Standard". Finally, adjust the range knob on the EP-3 to maximum by rotating the control fully clockwise (toward the "toe" end of the EP-3)
      • the Line 6 EX 1 requires a TS cable. 

I hope you find this helpful.

aljen
      Participant

In case this helps, I have my humple experience with the following EXP pedals in conjunction to the H9 in my home studio: 

• Electro Harmonix Expression (the “cradle” like one, where your groundfloor is the base): works flawlessly and is much fun; this is my EXP of choice. Very smooth transition and responsible control, IMHO.
      • BOSS EV-30: works transparently, providing you find out the right settings on the pedal. 
      • BOSS EV-500L: same as above, although somehow oversized. On the other hand, the size gives you even more precision in control. So if a kind of Laurel-and-Hardy-look isn’t an issue for you, this giant dino may be an option. I’d rather use it to control my Matrixbrute. 
      • Thomann Lead Foot (a 19 Euro cheap piece): unstable, likes to still send random signals even in the heel position, which makes the display go crazy.

Unless stated otherwise, the pedals mentioned above worked for me with H9 solo (connected via TRS) as well as in conjunction with BOSS FS-5U Switch (both connected by Y-cable 2x mono -> 1x TRS)

gas hed
      Participant
      bohan wrote:

New for H9:

Mission Engineering has released an expression pedal specifically designed to work with the H9. The SP-H9 has a potentiometer wired as a rheostat and an integrated momentary switch connected to the ring. This allows the customer to connect the expression pedal to the H9 with a single TRS cable and get both expression pedal and switch functionality in the one unit. There is also a parallel switch input so customers can connect an external TS switch just using a regular 1/4” instrument cable. Learn more at: http://missionengineering.com/?product=sp-h9-eventide

Does this mean I can use the SP-H9 as an expression pedal and also to engage the tuner?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      gas hed wrote:
      Does this mean I can use the SP-H9 as an expression pedal and also to engage the tuner?

Yes. If you connect to the H9 using a TRS cable, set the expression input to “Both” mode, and map the “Toggle Tuner” command to Foot Switch 2 (Ring), you will be able to engage the tuner using the built-in footswitch of the Mission SP-H9.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.