Firewire distortion

Home Forums Products Rackmount Firewire distortion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      razo

I just upgraded to 5.6b1 but i get nasty distortion when using the H8000FW as a D/A converter over Firewire. Tried to look at different positions for the Meter but they are allways <-3. The Setup is "Firewire A-B ", both dsp a and b are set to hte Thrupreset. Changing the outputdevice in Abelton Suite to the builtin a/d on the mac, os lion, there's no distortion in the sound. How to fix this distortion over Firewire?
      Thanks

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

My guess is that it is a sync issue – you don't say what your sync source is, so it is hard to know what to suggest. FireWire sync should only be used as a last resort – WordClock or AES is better.

razo

Sync source is set to Internal in Eventide Dice.. This is the only syncsetting that makes the system clock to be locked.

razo

It should be possible to use the H8000FW with just an iMac via firewire (it works for other FW-adiointerfaces), so it must be something wrong with the configuration. Right?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The H8000 has to be in sync with the computer. At the moment, it is running on internal, so unless the computer is synced to it, you will get clicks or distortion.

You could try setting the H8000 to sync to firewire – this should work, but AES or wordclock is better. Or, you could make the H8000 the sync master (set, as it currently is, to internal), but you will have to know how to set up your computer to do this (can't help you with that).

These issues have to be viewed as system design (meaning looking at your setup as a whole) – it is more than just how the H8000 is configured.

razo

Thanks. How do I setup the H8000FW as a slave via firewire? there's no Firewire-option as Syncsource in Dice.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – it may have been removed in the latest version – I don't have one in front of me to confirm. If this is so, you'll need to either set the H8000 up as master, or slave it to AES/ADAT/WC.

razo

It works now.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

razo:

It works now.

Good – what did you do to fix it ?

razo

It was working all the time. A preset other than "Thru"  caused the distortion.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.