Firewire switching from Locked to Unlocked every 2-3 seconds

Home Forums Products Rackmount Firewire switching from Locked to Unlocked every 2-3 seconds

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      entrainer

I'm having an issue with the firewire switching from Locked to Unlocked every 2-3 seconds. This is appearing in the Dice control and the unit itself.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled the drivers. I've also switched the firewire inputs on the back. I'm going to try and initialize the device and see if that helps.

Anyone ever experience an issue like this? My unit was working perfectly earlier today. No changes have occurred computer wise.

entrainer

I've also switched Firewire cards in the computer and cables. It's actually causing the XP to chime every 2-3 seconds with the "new device found" sound.

IDeangelis

The 8000FW is compatible with some specific FireWire chpsets. The manual has a list of them. You may want to check which chipset(s) your system and card(s) have to make sure it's not a compatibility issue.

best

I

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry Italo – the list in the manual covers cards which are NOT compatible.

This sounds like the sort of problem that cannot easily be resolved remotely. It may be one or more of the following:

1) The computer and whatever else it is doing

2) The firewire board (less likely if you've tried different ones, but still possible)

3) The firewire cable and connections

4) The H8000.

Easiest thing is to disconnect all other firewire devices and applications, and try a new firewire cable. If this fails, try a different computer. If this fails, the H8000 should come back.

My guess is that it is a computer issue at your end – typically the firewire hardware in the H8000 either works or it doesn't.

IDeangelis

"Sorry Italo – the list in the manual covers cards which are NOT compatible"

yes…but it also states the preference for  Texas Instrument chips.

Wink

I

entrainer

Yes. I have 2 Firewire cards in the machine that have been there since build in December 08. They are both TI chipsets. The Eventide has been working perfectly until yesterday.

The only change in my setup was the removal of ADAT cables to and from the MOTU. The MOTU was slaved to Eventide via ADAT. Yes, everything was powered down. I still have the T-Terminator at in Eventide WC in.

I will try the final test of another computer. It would be sad to pack the Tide up… just got it four months ago, and it's grown on me : )

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm suspicious of the cabling….

My instinct tells me that it is not the H8000, and that if you send it in we will find nothing wrong with it and be none the wiser.

It sounds like you have a complex setup there. Try and temporarily reduce it to the minimum (i.e. H8000, computer, nothing else) and see if the problem remains.

entrainer

I've done everything possible, including changing cables, changing cards, reinstalling drivers, and removing all devices from the computer except the H8000FW. The problem still persists.

The latest time the firewire continuously locked and unlocked again every 2-3 seconds and caused the windows beep (new hardware).

Unfortunately, this caused a blue screen and bad pool caller message. I am certain that the H8000FW being repeatedly recognized and unrecognized caused this issue.

I am reluctant to connect the H8000FW to the machine to perform any more testing. I cannot have registry errors created that will disrupt everything else and cause massive (40hrs) downtime in reinstallation.

For what it's worth, I'm also noticing the sample rate is shifting by a sample as well. The clock is set to internal. The DICE application is also reading the Firewire Unlocked/Locked. If the firewire cable is unplugged, the anomaly goes away.

In an unrelated issue, I'm also noticing ghosting appearing on the upper left corner of the LCD screen. It is lighter and harder to read. I doubt this is normal after 4 months.

entrainer

Good news. I have connected the Eventide H8000FW to my macintosh laptop and the firewire is locking. This at least rules out a hardware issue with the Eventide.

So, I have tried 3 cables, 3 firewire cards/busses, and 2 computers. The only thing that is a factor now is the driver on Windows XP, which I have reinstalled.

I've bought an external back-up drive to make a clone of the entire system prior to further tests.

entrainer

Got it working. Don't know exactly what caused it, but after syncing to the Mac, I moved it back to the PC. I also reflashed the CMOS, updated the Bios, rearranged some card slots, and did a registry sweep. One of these things worked : )

entrainer

Ok. It's back again…

Getting a Bad Pool Caller message on shutdown. I've tried everything I tried before with no luck, except updating the Mobo Bios. It's at the most recent version.

It occurred while creating a system backup with the Seagate FreeAgent USB 2.0 external drive. I thought that was the culprit, but rereading my posts, I bought that drive after the problem initially occurred.

I've reinstalled the drivers, unconnected everything, changed some card slots, flashed the CMOS.

entrainer

Ok. I have a new guess as to what the problem is. It seemed far fetched at first, but this may in fact be the issue.

Combination of NVidia GTX260 and Trendnet 204UK interfering with the Firewire. The first time the issue occurred was with the Trendnet being installed. I've been using it successfully over the last couple of weeks, but here it is again… and this is the only thing that I haven't changed back to resolve the issue.

I've read information about NVidia and HDMI/DVI effecting laptops. Will search more on this issue.

entrainer

Ok. I can now assume the Trendnet DVI switcher combined with NVidia GTX 260 is causing this issue. I am only using the DVI cable (not usb) between Trendnet and NVidia card.

There's a very interesting read over at http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=3479 regarding NVidia cards searching the HDMI port. The third page provides enlightening information.

I don't have an HDMI port, but perhaps the issue is related. Something about the DVI switcher being connected is interfering with the PCI Firewire Cards and Mobo Firewire Bus or Eventide Driver. I'm interested in the free DPC spike tool they provide.

My H8000FW is now working without the KVM switch.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.