[:(] Flashcard Hardware Fault Error

Home Forums Products Rackmount [:(] Flashcard Hardware Fault Error

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Splaaat
      Participant

Hello there,

I previously mentioned about the 'Flash Card' issue I had with the stock card and adaptor. So I went out and bought a Compact Flash Adaptor (PCMCIA), Kingston 4GB Flash Card (I'm aware that 2GB is the recommended limit) and a Card Reader.

I checked if there were any faults with the stock Flash Card on my computer. None, reads fine. I even 'Repaired the disk', incase there were some errors. I switched Adaptors and I tried the new 4GB card as well.

When trying to save something onto the card, it shows the Space as -0.00KB and gives an error if I try to continue.

I went into 'Setup' and tried formatting both cards using both adaptors within the H8000FW. All of them give me the following error, 'Sorry, can't format card. Possible hardware fault. Press any key to continue.'

Would Nick or Italo be kind enough to offer me some solutions. I really don't want to send the unit back all the way from Singapore, so I'm hoping there's some easier solution. I also need to upgrade the OS to 5.5, is there any other way of doing so? I even purchased a 'Serial port' to USB cable.
      I've had the unit for barely 3 days now Sad If I do have to send it back, how long can it take for it to come back? I'm curious, since I have some upcoming projects. 

Splaaat
      Participant

Could one of the staff members please recommend what I need to do? Could this be a hardware fault? I'd like to know, since it's a long way to send back the unit Crying

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It could be a hardware fault. Hard to say with confidence.

Why not send us the card and adaptor – we could test these, and if OK return them to you with the installation software.

Note that you will get a better response if you contact support@eventide.com – the Forums are more for general questions, and do not always get a reply.

IDeangelis

Sorry Splaat

I replied to you yesterday but as soon as I sent the mail the forums crashed. We had servers problems for the last 24+ hours.

Nick's reply is a good starting point.

Good luck

Italo

Splaaat
      Participant

Even I think, it might be a hardware fault. Cause the card reads fine on the computer.
      Also, just to make sure, I insert the card till it kind of snaps into place and the button pops out, right? 

It is almost impossible to find a Flash Card under 4GB out here. I tried about 20 different stores yesterday.

Smile I was planning to contact support, but noticed you guys almost instantly reply out here.

Once again, is the Flash card the only way to upgrade the OS? Have a few glitches under Snow Leopard and was hoping I could finish my current project before I send the unit across, if I have to.

Cheers. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Splaaat:

I insert the card till it kind of snaps into place and the button pops out, right?

That should do it.

Splaaat:

It is almost impossible to find a Flash Card under 4GB

The H8000 does not have the card size issues that Eclipse used to have, but we have little experience with very big cards.

Splaaat:

is the Flash card the only way to upgrade the OS

It is for this release – sorry.

I suggested you just send the card and adapter, cos that will be much quicker and cheaper, and if it does not work for you, no loss.

Splaaat
      Participant

As mentioned earlier, I have tested the card on the computer and it seems to be working fine. I have also tested a brand new card and adaptor. All of them give the same error. So I highly doubt it is the card or the adaptor, unless there is some specific file which needs to be on the card.

If there is no other solution, is it okay if I contact my retailer and send the unit across? I would like to have it up and running in my setup ASAP.

Cheers. 

IDeangelis

Hi Splaat

you can ask your retailer to take care of it or you can contact support@eventide.com.

Since you just got the unit, it would be probably better to check what the dealer can do for you.

all the best

Italo

Splaaat
      Participant

I got in touch with the retailer and delivered the unit to them. They ran a couple of tests and said it was just the unit being sensitive to different flash cards. They managed to get a couple of their flash cards working. So I will be picking the unit up with a 2GB flash card from them.

Italo and Nick, thanks for the support. 

IDeangelis

Hi Splaaat

good this problem has been sorted out, finally!

two things:

-are they using the same CF>Pcmcia adapter you used?

-which card they found working ok? Please specify brand, product name and size.

Thank you

all the best

Italo

Splaaat
      Participant

W00t! I upgraded to OS 5.5 running Snow Leopard, H8000 connected via ADAT and it's working flawlessly.

SanDisk 32MB Stock card did not work.

I'm using a 'SanDisk Ultra' 2GB Flash card with the stock PCMCIA adaptor.

Kingston 4GB card did NOT work.

The retailer tech mentioned, there were no problems with the hardware, it's just the unit is sensitive to the type of cards. He mentioned there might be a 2GB limit problem. I'm guessing he tried another 4GB card aswell, which did not work.  He did try a couple of other cards. Some worked, some didn't.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

IDeangelis

Thanks for the info!

all the best

I

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

So, I got myself a brand new CF card (Transcend Compact Flash, 2GB, UDMA, 300x) and I wanted to format it with the H-8000FW but it doesn't recognize it at all! The message I get is:

"Sorry, can't format card, possible hardware fault, press any key to continue"

Why??????

IDeangelis

There is always a possibility a CFC and the H8000 may be not fully compatible. You have other cards that worked ok, as from your recent post. Do they still work? If the answer is "yes", then your last card is not compatible.

Have you also tried formatting the card on a computer?

best

I

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi Italo,

I didn't try to format the card in the computer because I thought that it might format it in something weird (i.e. NTFS) and the H-8000FW reads only FAT. Or FAT something…

I couldn't find a SanDisk CF card like the one the OP bought, no matter how hard I tried. 🙁

Regards,
      Yannis

IDeangelis

hi Yannis

…but does the previous Sandisk 2GB I read about still work?

Simply to rule out a hardware fault for a possible card incompatibility.

Too many memories!

I

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Italo, my previous CF was the SanDisk CF (32MB) that came with the H-8000FW. It can read this card and then for no apparent reason it says that the card is not formatted! If I reboot the H-8000FW or unplug the card and insert it again then there's no problem. So, I went ahead and bought a new card.

Oh by the way, it's literally impossible to find a SanDisk CF of 32MB. Hell, it's even hard to find a CF card since most manufacturers have moved to SD. But methinks that if Eventide plans to continue using this type of format in their Harmonizers maybe the should stock some CFs. Or at least fix the issues with the CFs with capacities of 2GBs or 4GBs because these are the only ones that are available (without having to call the FBI to find you a card, ahahah),

Regards, Yannis

IDeangelis

Ok, I see. It was Splaat's post about a 2GB Sandisk.

The new OS has fixed issues with 2GB cards. So you should be fine, particularly with Sandisk brand.

No problem finding CFC here….

all the best

I

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Italo,

is this the card I am looking for:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-ULTRA-II-Compact-Flash/dp/B0002DCDG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274074893&sr=8-1

Do you think that it's best, prior to buying this card, that I should install 5.5Beta on my 32 MB, update the H-8000fw and then see if it recognizes the other card I already bought?

Splaaat
      Participant

Hello ladies 😀

I remember the time I went hunting for a under 2GB Flash Card. 6-Storey Electronics shopping mall, I went to each and every store Cool

Anyways, here is the exact card I finally got,

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Compact-SDCFH-002G-A11-Retail-Package/dp/B0001CNMFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274075314&sr=8-1 

And it has been working flawlessly. Hope this helps out. 

IDeangelis

Yannis

that should be fine. But latest Splaaat post suggests a specific Sandisk card model that he confirms working perfectly. It should be a faster version than the one you mention. Speed is not really important, so don't invest in super fast cards that suit digital camera shooting large RAW files.

Yes you should DEFINITELY install the beta system on your unit or no big cards will ever work.

Actually you should have stated right at the beginning which system the unit runs on…THAT'S WHY your 2 GB card doesn't work….and we have repeated quite a few time the best fixes the 2GB problem.

Splaaat's card:

best

I

IDeangelis

Thanks, sir!

Yes

I

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.