Freeze

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Freeze

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Sorbz62
      Participant

I know that some of the reverbs are programmed to freeze when feedback is right up and connected to the hotswitch but this seems to get out of hand with the reverb delay building up and up and up …..

Anyone have any tips for a good freeze setting? – I'm trying to get nice reverby chords to play over.

Cheers,

Jim

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Hi Jim, 

Which algorithm are you using?  Most of them have two options, INF and FRZ, the INF (infinite) option will behave like you described, building up and up.  Make sure you're actually programming the HotSwitch for the FRZ option. 

Sorbz62
      Participant

Hi Russell,

Thanks Russell.  Now, as a newbie, could you please tell me which algorithms have a FRZ setting and also how do I assign it to the hotswitch/ performance knob.

i am using a DMC-4 Gen 2 with one of the switches assigned to the hotknob/ performance switch and want to freeze a nice long reverb to play Floyd's Shine on you Crazy Diamond.

cheers,

Jim

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

To clarify:  Are you using a Space or an H9? 

Sorbz62
      Participant

Oh sorry – an H9

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

OK.

The Freeze is available on Space Algorithms.  For more detailed info on which ones (and how) go to the Space update page and scroll down to Changes in Version 4.0.0[ 6 ] .  I'll link to that page: 

http://eventide.com/Home/Eventide/AudioDivision/Products/StompBoxes/SpaceUpdate.aspx

Ok, so for HotSwitch programming, let's make sure we're talking about the same thing.  Do you mean the HotSwitch functionality of Space that is built into the H9 virtual performance button (middle button H9 Control assignable to Aux Switch, MIDI)  or are you talking about the HotKnob on H9 (which controls the same thing as expression pedal and the H9 Control Ribbon)?  

I guess in order to answer that, describe how you want to trigger the Freeze: from an Aux Switch, from the app, expression pdl, MIDI? 

Sorbz62
      Participant

Thanks for all this Russell,

I have a DMC-4 Gen2 and one of the buttons activates the hot switch via midi and it works well on those presets with it already on them.  I just do not know how to add a function to a hot switch, so that I can freeze the sound.

Sorbz62
      Participant

Actually Russell,

I think I have it now – I meant the hotswitch functionality base don the middle switch of the H9 Control App.  I long press it, adjust the parameters and save it. Then it is assigned to my DMC-4 hotswitch button.

A further question though is which parameters in the algorithms have the freeze functionality?  I notice 1 Blackhole patch which has Freeze on its feedback knob but it is infinite which adds more and more all the time.

Thanks for your assistance.

Jim

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

That link I provided should detail what parameter the FREEZE option is on for each algorithm.  I think most of them on the DECAY parameter, except for BLACKHOLE and SHIMMER where FREEZE is on the FEEDBACK parameter on the Space FXMIX knob.  

I you assign the HotSwitch to FREEZE (and not INF) on the BlackHole Feedback parameter and it acts like infinite (but still reads FREEZE on the knob in H9 Control) then that's probably a bug. FREEZE should not allow any build up.  Make sure nothing is reading INF (either in H9 Control or on the pedal itself) when you do the HotSwtich.  If anything is reading INF, let me know and I'll take a look at it, that could also be a bug.  

jaredrodgers
      Participant

jumping in on an old tread here. Jim, perhaps you could tell me how to assign the hotswitch to my DMC-4 pedal?

thanks!

chadwhipped
      Participant

I have the H9 and Dmc-4 gen 3 and it won’t freeze. If u set the hotswitch to freeze in dual delay for example when you engage the 4th switch on DMC-4 it engages hotswitch on m9 but for INF and not FREEZE for some reason it won’t latch freeze but only INF can anyone assist

brock
        Participant
        chadwhipped wrote:
        I have the H9 and Dmc-4 gen 3 and it won’t freeze. If u set the hotswitch to freeze in dual delay for example when you engage the 4th switch on DMC-4 it engages hotswitch on m9 but for INF and not FREEZE for some reason it won’t latch freeze but only INF can anyone assist

I believe that you mean ‘DualVerb’ (but correct me if I’m wrong).  I’m not sure if this is the problem you’re having, but FREEZE needs ‘something’ in the delay buffer at the moment you press the HotSwitch.

For example, if the reverb has mostly decayed already, you’re ‘capturing’ a low level signal.  If your HotSwitch = Off position is a DECAY of 0, it’s easy enough to ‘FREEZE’ silence.  When I assign the Off & On (FREEZE) positions to the HotSwitch, I tend to leave a fair amount of DECAY time in the Off position, for two reasons.

One, that will increase my chances of having a strong enough signal at the reverb output to FREEZE (when I press the HotSwitch).  A second benefit is that when HotSwitch is switched to Off, there’s a nicely blended fadeout from the frozen signal.

That is, unless an abrupt stop from FREEZE is what you’re after.  The ‘sweet spot’ for initial DECAY time will vary … You can try 5 or 10 Seconds to start, in the HotSwitch = Off position.  Of course, HotSwitch = On will be the FREEZE position.

Bottom line: engaging FREEZE from zero DECAY can sound like it’s not functioning.  I’d never seen the link posted by Russ above in #6, but it has some very useful information on FREEZE / INF, as implemented in various reverb algorithms.  The updated link: 

https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads/software-500-5-release-notes

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.