Gain staging with the H9000

Home Forums Products Rackmount Gain staging with the H9000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      igglethorpe
      Participant

Forgive my ignorance on this topic.

I am attempting to correctly set the gain on the H9000 with the analog ins and outs. I have 2 scenarios:

-10db gets me into the high green low orange on occasion for both ins and outs.

+4db never pegs the H9000 meters past the middle in deep green.

I’m using a SoundCraft GB4 24 mixer for both sends and returns so I’m not sure if that mixer is really pushing the output compared to more modern mixing desks.

What is the better scenario for best signal to noise? Running it hotter with the -10db setting or quieter with +4db setting?

jfirlik
      Eventide Staff

A good rule of thumb is to try and achieve the desired level as early in the chain as possible, as adding gain later in the chain will amplify any noise coming from the earlier stages.  The +4 setting on both the inputs/outputs is ideal if your devices before/after can handle it.  If not (as you say, if your source can't push the meters past the middle), then it might be better to use -10 on the inputs as this will keep you from having to use make-up gain later on down the line.

igglethorpe
      Participant

Thanks. This was the direction I was leaning. So am I right in thinking that the H9000 gains should be touching -6db (yellow) on an occasional basis for best signal gain?

jfirlik
      Eventide Staff

Yeah, if the loudest peaks are occasionally touching the yellow, that should be right where you want it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.