ganging controls in the H9000 environment

Home Forums Products Rackmount ganging controls in the H9000 environment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      gchang
      Participant

Hello all,

I am a new H9000 owner and have been creating my own patches in 5.1 (called fxchains?), utilizing the Protools card for I/O. 

My question is:

When using multiple stereo algorithms to make a 5.1 reverb, how does one gang the controls so that one set will control all 3 reverb algorithms?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Each FX Chain has “Functions” that you can use to map multiple parameters to one knob as well as map ranges of control. Here’s a video I prepared some time ago explaining how you can use this feature specifically as it pertains to emulating the behavior of the ribbon strip on an H9, but the concept is the same for you.

https://youtu.be/GGuwN16tlB4

You can also read up on Functions on page 81 of the new 2.0 manual, which I’ve attached for you.

John Baylies
      Participant

You probably already know this, but it's worth mentioning that there are many 5.1 reverb algorithms on the H9000: https://cdn.eventideaudio.com/manuals/h9000/content/appendix/algorithms/41_Reverbs_5.1.html

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Happy to help, Gary. Enjoy your H9000!

gchang
      Participant

joecozzi – I understand how to gang controls in the same algorithm – how about ganging controls in several different algorithms?

gary

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hi Gary, the quick answer is to navigate to any other algorithm in the FX Chain and assign the parameter to the same Source, the same Function number. Does that clarify it for you?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

If you have the H9000, when you click on the PARAMETERS button, and then click on the FUNCTIONS soft button in the bottom right, you’ll be able to see all the Function knobs that correspond to that FX Chain. If you select a Function knob and press the check mark button, you’ll be able to see all the mappable parameters from all the corresponding algorithms in the chain if you scroll with the jog wheel. On Emote, you simply navigate to another algorithm in the chain and do the right click process to assign a parameter to the same Function knob.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Each FX Chain has eight Function knobs to which you may assign any parameters of algorithms enclosed within the FX Chain.

The global option would be an expression pedal or MIDI control, if you wanted to assign parameters across FX Chains. Of course, you could program Function knobs in each Fx Chain and control them simultaneously by assigning them the same MIDI CC# number. This method requires external control from an actual controller, expression pedal or DAW, for example.

gchang
      Participant

Thanks, Joe.  This has been very helpful!

Gary

gchang
      Participant

So, now that I can gang the controls from several algorithms in an fxchain together, how can I turn one knob from one algorithm and turn the others?  I understand that I could use a midi control, but I don’t have one available – it would be more interesting to simply use a control in one algorithm and control all 3 controls….

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

That is not possible, as it is the Function knob that acts as the master controller for all parameters assigned to it. Simply, there is no way to change the role of a simple parameter into a Function knob.

However, we can assign all our parameters to an expression pedal. That will work in lieu of MIDI.

gchang
      Participant

Wouldn’t it be useful for Emote to have a set of pots which represent the FUNCTION masters? (hint hint)

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

They are there. On Emote click on an FX Chain and you’ll be able to scroll down on the bottom pane. Function knobs are all they way at the bottom. See attached pic.

gchang
      Participant

Joe – perfect! I have a question – how do I reliably access this page? When it is selected, 8 can change the master function levels, but when I then access the controls of the algorithms that I am changing, I can’t seem to find a way to get “fxchain” to appear again; in its place is the actual algorithm that I am controlling. Is there a way to access the fxchain master page in a couple of clicks?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Since the Function knobs are located on the same page as the input and output levels, clicking on any of the input and output configurations of each FX Chain will recall the pane you’re looking for. See the attached graphic for clarity.

gchang
      Participant

Joe, thanks for pointing me in the right direction –  up to this point, I haven’t come across an actual link to tutorials like this, which is very clear – exactly what I am looking for!

Thanks!

Gary

gchang
      Participant

John,

Yes, i am aware of the vast 5.1 resources, but ganging controls was really the essence of what I didn’t figure out.

Thanks for the reply, though – the link is very handy!

Gary

gchang
      Participant

So, FUNCTION 1-8 are the same for all algorithms?  In the fxchain, or for the entire H9000 environement?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.